What does 10w30 mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Evening Everyone,

This may seem like a dumb question.....but I never really understood what the first number and second number represent. I think one is the wieght or thickness...yes?

Thanks,

George

quote:

Originally posted by George Farra:
Good Evening Everyone,

This may seem like a dumb question.....but I never really understood what the first number and second number represent. I think one is the wieght or thickness...yes?

Thanks,

George

10 means the oil behaves as a 10 weight oil (thin) when it is cold. This makes it flow well when the cold engine is first started.

W means Winter

30 means the oil will behave as a 30 weight after it is warm. This puts a thicker protective film on the metal parts than a 10 weight would.

This "multi-weight" oil provides good starting capability and protection in cold weather and good protection for the engine after it is up to operating temperature.

quote:

Thanks Guys

This site rules! I've never been so concerned about motor oil in my life!

George

yes, I never used to lay awake at night worrying about my engines until I found this site.

CJH,

Funny you mention that. I fond this site on Monday of this week. I've been reading posts till 1am and loosing sleep wondering if I chose the right oil!

In fact right now I just came back from the garage to check the bottle of Havoline I just used. Whew....its from ChevronTexaco!

Good night everyone,

George

I'm not loosing any sleep, BUT....
wife is worried.
grass is tall.
have too many full jugs in the shed for recycling.
truck is dirty.
i'm confused.
And I'm leaving on a 3000 mile cross country trip next week. I'm going to change my oil and filter saturday and I don't know what to get. Maybe 2 quarts 10/30, 2 quarts 30 hd and 2 quarts mobil 1. Joe

I enjoy this site because everyone needs a hobby, but most SL oils are plenty good to do 4000 miles. Don't worry-- cars seldom die from engine problems if decent (any SL) oil is used and oil levels or coolant levels are in range. It's usually a combination of other non-engine related hoo hah that makes the car too expensive to maintain. Im my car buying career, only about 4 cars out of almost 30 have died from engine related problems. One was a Corvair, one a Caravan with the infamous Mitsu valve guides and the transmission went out at the same time, and one was a Plymouth Arrow that I let over heat. The last was a Festiva that probably hadn't had its oil changed more than once or twice when I bought it at 28K. It lasted until 115 and I was able to get a used engine and clutch replacement with labor for about $600. The car was still going strong at 160K when I donated it because it needed a complete brake job and the synchros were starting to catch. As far as I know the car stayed in service as a errand car for a non-profit for well over a year.

[ July 17, 2003, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: csandste ]

quote:

Originally posted by CJH:

quote:

Thanks Guys

George

yes, I never used to lay awake at night worrying about my engines until I found this site.

haha

I can relate to that!
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by CJH:

quote:

Thanks Guys

George

Holy cow! That is exactly what happened to me!!!!
shocked.gif
grin.gif
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by jorton:
I'm not loosing any sleep, BUT....
wife is worried.
grass is tall.
have too many full jugs in the shed for recycling.
truck is dirty.
i'm confused.
And I'm leaving on a 3000 mile cross country trip next week. I'm going to change my oil and filter saturday and I don't know what to get. Maybe 2 quarts 10/30, 2 quarts 30 hd and 2 quarts mobil 1. Joe

Good 4 U! You have a life!!
burnout.gif

[ July 17, 2003, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: KCDoug ]

Each one of you poor disturbed people need to get yourselves over to the OAA, and check in on that thread.

OAA = oil analyzers anonymous

You all got it baaaaaad.

fruit.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back