What do you think of 'Top Tier' gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may be old news (new to me) but I just came across this in an email from Shell. Top Tier is a new voluntary designation created by GM, BMW, Honda & Toyota that certifies that gas meets tougher detergency standards.
cheers.gif

http://www.toptiergas.com/

Only use Shell in my Prius. Some of the el cheapo gas in this area has caused fuel gauge problems and other things.

The only station on that list in the Northeast or NYC to be exact is shell. However, they're usually 10 cents more per gallon for their premium gas as opposed to the Mobil station I go to. Me memory is shot but I did some calculations awhile back and it was about the same if not cheaper with FP. So I just go to the Mobil station and use FP with my gasoline instead.....

I'm with chefwong. It's a neat marketing tactic, but other means to that same end are less expensive.
For example, the TopTier stations here are between 10 and 15 cents per gallon more expensive than several of the national or local brands I buy.

Out here in Oregon, those gas stations are everyday occurances. We have Chevron, Shell, and 76 stations EVERYWHERE... and when I lived in Arizona, we had all those PLUS even the QuikTrip stations.

So as you can see, to me... top-tier gas is all I see.

quote:

Originally posted by chefwong:
The only station on that list in the Northeast or NYC to be exact is shell. However, they're usually 10 cents more per gallon for their premium gas as opposed to the Mobil station I go to. Me memory is shot but I did some calculations awhile back and it was about the same if not cheaper with FP. So I just go to the Mobil station and use FP with my gasoline instead.....

Around here Shell is about the same price as others and since they have a '5 cents off Tuesdays' sale, I have been buying Shell(regular) since hearing about Top Tier

Shell, Chevron, and 76 around here, along with many others. Price is the same generally. I use top tier now, and my engine runs better.

No wonder my car prefers Phillips 66. The only surviving 66 station in Virginia is 10 miles from me in Emporia, and I make it a point to fill up there when I can.

The operator told me an interesting story about how this station stayed open. Phillips closed all of its other Virginia stations years ago, but the fuel supply for this one came from North Carolina. The border is about 12 miles away. The N.C. operation also furnishes fuel to the nearby regional airport. Had it not been for all that, this station would have long been closed.

(The car likes Sunoco too. Too bad it isn't yet a Top Tier fuel.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back