What do you think of this product, SK ZIC XQ 5W-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using Pennzoil 10W-30 synthetic (about $7.25 per quart) with Mobil M1-104 oil filter simply because they don't sell Mobil 10W-30 (100% synthetic) in Korea. However, after finding out that this particular Pennzoil belongs to Group III, I decide to try different product.

This product I am now considering is produced by SK Corporation (www.skzic.com, English available but this product isn't available in English yet) and is available in 1-liter 5W-40 100% synthetic for $3.20. It advertises the following:

*Excellent engine protection in extremely high & low temperatures
*Remarkable anti-wear properties
*Outstanding fuel economy
*Exceeds all major car brand requirements of API SL, ACEA A3/B3/BR, BENZ, VW 502, 505.

All my cars came with 10W-30 oil from the factory.
Please tell me how 5W-40 will effect the engine performance and protection, fuel economy, etc.
Please comment on this oil too. Thanks in advance.
grin.gif

Forgot to mention that with this product, I will change the oil every 6,250 miles, which is about a year for me. I also use K&N filter to keep the oil clean.

Havn't heard of it. Can you get an MSDS in Korea?

There is no reason (assuming your car is in good shape) that a good synthetic oil shouldn't go that mileage.

I tried the site, but I'm at a 56K connection right now and it was taking forever in the English section.

I doubt you'll see much performance difference.

Is your car under warranty?

[ February 04, 2003, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

acelink,

I wouldn't use SK ZIC XQ if I were in Korea. Here is what I've found on their website.
quote:

ZIC products are made from Yubase, a very-high-viscosity-index (VHVI) base oil produced by SK Corporation since October 1995.

Therefore, SK ZIC oil are Group III. How about Mobil 1 0W-40? I know that it is available in Korea. Also you know that it's 100% PAO synthetic. Another option would be Sigma PAO 0W-40 made by LG. I think 0W-40 is as good as 10W-30.
smile.gif

SK is one of the largest producers of Group III base oils and is a major importer of Group III into the US. I would doubt that any of their synthetic motor oils are based on anything other than Group III.

Thanks guys. I learned a lot today. I am just wondering how SK is allowed to advertise ZIC XQ as "100% synthetic." Atleast, it must be better than the conventional oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back