what do you think of this Lucas product?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Malo83
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
They under treat everything, I'm guessing they barely pass the specs they meet not exceeding like most do, but I don't know for sure.

You haven't a clue!
lol.gif

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/lucassynth.htm

Their synthetic 5w-30 (what is being discussed).

Volatility: Average: 9.9%, Lucas: 14.9% (right on the edge of not passing)

21.gif

Pretty woeful Ca/Mg and TBN for a "premium product"...and clearly they are telling porkies at GF-5 AND A3/B3/B4.

I know I wouldn't run Lucas anything in an engine unless it was knocking. I don't even think their fuel injector cleaner is worth its weight in sand. But that's just me. I'd be surprised if it were really BMW LL. That used to only be Castrol and M1.

Heck it might be fine but I think I'd stick with what I know works...you could run that oil and be fine I'd keep it below 3-4000mi tho. Do a UOA and get the TBN at 3k....if it's still high keep on running it not hard to do the math on how long.

Originally Posted By: hal
I know I wouldn't run Lucas anything in an engine unless it was knocking. I don't even think their fuel injector cleaner is worth its weight in sand. But that's just me. I'd be surprised if it were really BMW LL. That used to only be Castrol and M1.

Is there even an BMW "LL"? Or is it LL-01 or LL-04?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

LL-98 was the first one IIRC.

Heck it might be fine but I think I'd stick with what I know works...you could run that oil and be fine I'd keep it below 3-4000mi tho. Do a UOA and get the TBN at 3k....if it's still high keep on running it not hard to do the math on how long.

Their upper cylinder lubricant? That stuff is great, I get a 4 MPG boost running it. Which translates into about 50 more miles on my tank before the E light comes on. Totally worth it if you buy the big jug.

Originally Posted By: KennyJB
Their upper cylinder lubricant? That stuff is great, I get a 4 MPG boost running it.

Four miles per gallon? I'd be interested in seeing your error analysis on that one. I bet the OEMs could get considerable CAFE credits by pushing this product. Yet, they don't. I wonder why that is.

Garak,
Penz yellow bottle 10W30 and Lucas UCL would get them to somewhere around 2025 in terms of CAFE....maybe they are saving up the special products to when they can't eek out another tenth of an MPG through engineering and aerodynamics.

That must be it. Watch for the 2025 return to 10w-30, with a unique specification that only PYB can meet, and only when used with Lucas UCL in the tank. I honestly don't know how Forrest Lucas can look at himself in the mirror every morning.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

LL-98 was the first one IIRC.

OK, yeah but what I meant is that the Lucas product says it meets "BMW Longlife" with no qualifying actual spec. There isn't a generic "BMW Longlife" spec that I know of, so what does that statement mean? I seriously doubt it meets them all at once
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Their upper cylinder lubricant? That stuff is great, I get a 4 MPG boost running it.

Four miles per gallon? I'd be interested in seeing your error analysis on that one. I bet the OEMs could get considerable CAFE credits by pushing this product. Yet, they don't. I wonder why that is.

Because they realize an "upper cylinder lubricant" isn't going to change performance in an engine with no significant wear or corrosion.

Try a car with 130k miles or more. If it helps valves seat and lubes things up it is going to help performance and thus efficiency. It's really more a comment on my engine's health that a little lubrication helps it out that much more than it is a testament to their product.

PS
I miss Deep Space Nine, thanks for reminding me of it lol

Last edited:
Try a car with 130k miles or more. If it helps valves seat and lubes things up it is going to help performance and thus efficiency. It's really more a comment on my engine's health that a little lubrication helps it out that much more than it is a testament to their product.

What is it lubricating that isn't already getting lubed?

What is it lubricating that isn't already getting lubed?

The magical gnomes in my engine that turn the crank. They just like it more than motor oil.

Seriously though I have no idea why it helps, and I'm not a statistical analyst so maybe there is some margin of error wider than the benefit I see. I do see a measureable benefit though. All I do is divide the distance traveled over fuel volume consumed, and also run an ODB adapter that tracks fuel use according to the ECU which usually matches all but the decimal values of the manual measurement.

PS
I miss Deep Space Nine, thanks for reminding me of it lol

No problem.
wink.gif

In any case, I don't tend to buy the notion of great fuel economy number improvements, unless something else were accomplished. If it did a bunch of cleaning, okay, I can see where you might find a benefit; that's no different than using a fuel system cleaner to deal with symptoms, or as preventative maintenance, for that matter. What I'm getting at is you won't see a 4 mpg improvement by using it, then 4 mpg decrease by stopping, and, of course, we must take the 4 mpg figure with a grain of salt unless we have done an error analysis, and eliminated other variables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back