What do you think of the Toyota RAV 4 AWD system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the indented purpose of this market segment all of AWD systems work well enough, with good tires you aren't going to get stuck on the road in most conditions.

If you plan to go off-roading in tough terrain they aren't the vehicles to look at, nor were they designed for it.

Originally Posted by ondarvr
For the indented purpose of this market segment all of AWD systems work well enough, with good tires you aren't going to get stuck on the road in most conditions.

If you plan to go off-roading in tough terrain they aren't the vehicles to look at, nor were they designed for it.

100% agree. The internet loves to debate what AWD is better while they all drive around on worn out all seasons.

Originally Posted by ondarvr

I have 2015 Sienna AWD. With snow tires goes through anything. Compared to my wife's Tiguan, AWD is not as nearly capable. But, for everyday purpose, including driving through blizzards when go to ski, works well.

Like most BITOGers, I've owned pretty much every drive configuration at this point. Subarus, light truck part time 4x4 based systems and various other FWD/AWDs.

Some worked well depending on the particular all-seasons, others not so much. Like said, fitted with snows, they're ALL great.

The problem today is the tire profiles. The smaller the sidewall and larger the wheel, the worse the winter traction.

My current 2019 Nissan Pathfinder is similar to the 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe I owned years ago. It's an ancient design. They're primarily a FWD vehicle and the rear axle kicks in full on / full off as needed if the front wheels slip. Both have a PTU, although Nissan calls it a transfer case that spins the rear drive shaft any time the vehicle is rolling. An electro-magnetic clutch at the input of the rear diff is what turns the rear end on or off. There's no fancy 60/40 or what ever split. It's either FWD or 4x4. Both can do full time 4x4 up to a certain speed, then it automatically disables as it should.

I guess my point is, I'm sure the RAV4 system is good. If you want it to be great, fit it with smaller diameter wheels with larger sidewall snow tires, or aggressive tires depending on what you want to do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK
Like most BITOGers, I've owned pretty much every drive configuration at this point. Subarus, light truck part time 4x4 based systems and various other FWD/AWDs.

Some worked well depending on the particular all-seasons, others not so much. Like said, fitted with snows, they're ALL great.

The problem today is the tire profiles. The smaller the sidewall and larger the wheel, the worse the winter traction.

My current 2019 Nissan Pathfinder is similar to the 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe I owned years ago. It's an ancient design. They're primarily a FWD vehicle and the rear axle kicks in full on / full off as needed if the front wheels slip. Both have a PTU, although Nissan calls it a transfer case that spins the rear drive shaft any time the vehicle is rolling. An electro-magnetic clutch at the input of the rear diff is what turns the rear end on or off. There's no fancy 60/40 or what ever split. It's either FWD or 4x4. Both can do full time 4x4 up to a certain speed, then it automatically disables as it should.

I guess my point is, I'm sure the RAV4 system is good. If you want it to be great, fit it with smaller diameter wheels with larger sidewall snow tires, or aggressive tires depending on what you want to do.

Before that, the problem is whether tires are all season or winter tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back