What do you think of the Toyota RAV 4 AWD system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I bought a brand new crossover, I'd get the FWD model, but dealers only carry the AWD version
mad.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
If I bought a brand new crossover, I'd get the FWD model, but dealers only carry the AWD version
mad.gif

That's surprising. I would expect them to sell some FWD models.

The TFL did another test with the Subaru Outback that was interesting. It performed very well. Much better than the RAV 4.

For the intended purpose the system should work just fine. Crossovers are not meant for rock crawling or heavy trail rides despite all the testing on YT.

The RAV4 has gotten quite a bit bigger in the latest version. I see plenty of new ones on the roads around here.

Originally Posted by PimTac
For the intended purpose the system should work just fine. Crossovers are not meant for rock crawling or heavy trail rides despite all the testing on YT.

The RAV4 has gotten quite a bit bigger in the latest version. I see plenty of new ones on the roads around here.

Good point. I agree, for daily driving in bad weather it should do just fine.

As per Edmunds

2018 RAV4
H 67.1 "
W 72.6 "
L 183.5 "
Interior Volume 140.3 cu. ft.

2019 RAV4
H 67.0 "
W 73.0 "
L 180.9 "
Interior Volume 136.5 cu. ft.

Safe to say the 2019 RAV4 is smaller than the 2018.

IMO, Toyota did a great job in making the 2019 look large, while downsizing it slightly.

Originally Posted by Danno

As per Edmunds

2018 RAV4
H 67.1 "
W 72.6 "
L 183.5 "

2019 RAV4
H 67.0 "
W 73.0 "
L 180.9 "

IMO, Toyota did a great job in making the 2019 look large, while downsizing it slightly.

I might be thinking of this latest version versus the previous ones. I'm not sure which year this one started production.

Originally Posted by buster
mad.gif

The TFL did another test with the Subaru Outback that was interesting. It performed very well. Much better than the RAV 4.

Those two systems are incomparable. Subaru has seriously capable AWD. Toyota not so much. With good tires Toyota AWD will do most trick in slick, it will get you home etc. But it is really nothing special and 99.99% of Toyota buyers will never want more.
Put winter tires on that RAV4 and you will not have absolutely any issues. But, it is not category of Subaru, Audi, BMW etc.

As per Edmunds

2018 RAV4
H 67.1 "
W 72.6 "
L 183.5 "

2019 RAV4
H 67.0 "
W 73.0 "
L 180.9 "

I might be thinking of this latest version versus the previous ones. I'm not sure which year this one started production.

Still leaps and bounds over the original:

H 65.0"
W 66.7"
L 163.4"-163.8"

2 inches shorter, 7 inches narrower, and 18 to 20 inches less in length!

As per Edmunds

2018 RAV4
H 67.1 "
W 72.6 "
L 183.5 "

2019 RAV4
H 67.0 "
W 73.0 "
L 180.9 "

As per Edmunds

2018 RAV4
H 67.1 "
W 72.6 "
L 183.5 "

2019 RAV4
H 67.0 "
W 73.0 "
L 180.9 "

The latest RAV4 started production MY 2019, I have a 2019 RAV4 Hybrid.

As for how the AWD system works, I can confirm it has worked great in some deep wet slushy snow. No hesitation, no worries, and I live in a hilly neighbourhood.
At least for the Hybrid AWD.
The RAV4 in the video is a 2019 Limited with conventional engine/AWD powertrain.

If you put snow tires on it, which you absolutely should do regardless of the drive system in snowy areas, it will be fine.

If not, well, it really doesn't matter if the system can help you get moving when it does nothing to help you stop.

I think a lot of people are too hard on these sorts of vehicles anyway. Sure, they're not X-TREME ROCK CRAWLERS, but honestly how many people actually do that anyway? Even the vehicles capable of handling the Rubicon are too expensive to risk damaging them on a trail. For on road driving in bad weather, they're fine, the added clearance helps for deep snow and the AWD systems are generally good enough.

A transaxle setup with a PDU is a solid NO from me. I would get the FWD base model. I don't even like having AWD on my Subaru - but at least it's not some poor quality afterthought system. I would get rid of that if I could and have it be FWD or RWD only

mad.gif

TFL hates most CVT's when it comes to their offroad testing, this includes Subaru and the Outback they bought, since Subaru is still butthurt about them. They have to play with the setttings to get the CVT to cooperate when the going gets tough.

I don't know about the newer ones, but I liked the older ones with their 4WD button. You could hit that and it'd "lock" the center diff. Instead of a slip&grip system, you could set that and not slip. Oh sure, it kicked out above 25mph or whatever, but really, for mundane suburban usage... would I really need more? The system could be a passive slip&grip and kick as needed, and in really bad stuff, be forearmed. Why would I need more?

My old Jetta station wagon always had good snows but seemed to always get stuck at least once per year where I live. Not a great reason to get AWD but I don't think many would blame me for being willing to spend a few dollars for it.

Our 2017 Rav4 is FWD

Didn't really see the need for AWD given oilBabe is probably not going to her school on a snow day.

We both grew up driving RWD cars. So for the few snow days we have in Southern IL, we can suck it up.

If I were to get AWD, I'd probably go with the Hybrid, as I believe they power the rear wheels with an electric motor instead of splitting torque from the trans-axle to the rear.

mad.gif

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
mad.gif

TFL hates most CVT's when it comes to their offroad testing, this includes Subaru and the Outback they bought, since Subaru is still butthurt about them. They have to play with the setttings to get the CVT to cooperate when the going gets tough.

They really do hate CVTs. And I think it was a combination of two videos that made subaru blacklist them - there was the one video where they took a Forester snow wheeling on the factory tires and planted it in a ditch, and the one where they pointed out how the CVT won't climb.

It's definitely a problem with Subaru CVTs and it is something that happens to people who lift them and take them on more extreme trails. It limits power once the fluid heats up. There's ways around it, of course - add a cooler or kill the ABS system and it won't limit torque

My 2010 gets around like a little tank in mud and snow on unmaintained county dirt roads. I don't know if the new ones still have the same AWD system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back