What do you think of Schaeffer's Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the Chevron oil that I am using right now, but I am considering using Schaeffer's Oil. What do you think of Schaeffer's Oil? What are the zinc levels in Schaeffer's-not high enough to cause cat converter problems? I own a Saturn SL2. I was thinking about going to 6000 mile oil changes, with a K&N Oil Filter and 3 oz. of Auto-RX in the oil. The Saturn is one of the cars, along with some Toyota cars, vans, and maybe trucks and SUVs, that are supposed to be kind of sludge monsters. How will Schaeffer's Oil do in a Saturn?

Schaeffer Oil is API certified, so the levels of zinc and phosphorus are safe for catalytics.

Your recipe of 6k with Schaeffer Oil with a K&N and 3oz of Auto-rx is going to be my recipe too. Right now I'm doing the same only I ran a NAPA Gold filter this time, but I am going to switch back to the K&N next change for better oil flow (I had hoped the NAPA Gold would flow as well, but according to my oil pressure gauge it does not)

I'm currently running 10w30, but just bought two cases of 5w30 to keep it simple, since our winters are cold here and I need the 5w30, and didn't want to switch back and forth or have to order different viscosities. Besides, I believe the 5w30 Schaeffer Supreme uses a better base oil than the 10w30 does. (even though Bob tells us base oil doesn't matter, I still like the idea of having a better base oil for my driving conditions)

I can't find any reason not to use Schaeffer oils except for the hassle of finding it or mail ordering it. Me?...I think it's worth the hassle.

Pat,
I don't think that Bob said that base oil doesn't matter, just that it's not the sole deciding factor...note the prominent notice Schaeffer makes of base oil on their data sheets.

Ken

Yup, don't misquote. What Bob said was that people were basing their judgement of oil mainly on base oil, when additive package is probably more important. I've come to believe that the additive package *is* more important than the base oil. Example: Mobil Drive Clean Dino is primarily Group I oil, yet it usually produces very good to excellent analysis results.

What do I think of BobZoil(Schaeffer)? I think it's great stuff, & use it in my car, my mother's car(SS7K 10w30), & the lawn tractor(SAE 30). And when I mix up some fresh 2-cycle gas today, it'll have BobZoil dino-moly 2-stroke oil in it, along with a little Neutra.
wink.gif

To see why I like it so well, look up my 6K & 9K anaylysis results on the UOA board, & my results last summer on the lawn tractor(Lawn eq. board).

I buy all my goodies from Tim just east of Texarkana. If I make a special trip for it, it's about 160 miles round trip- well worth the trouble a few times per year, IMO.

Yup, I'm another convert to the idea that the additive package is just as important if not more so than base oil.

I've maintained that 'Vette and Viper owners would be better off with Schaeffer Supreme 7000 10W30 than the same weight of Mobil 1 ... even the newer SuperSyn.

Analysis reports on this forum suggests that for intervals 3,000 miles or less (common with specialty toy cars
wink.gif
) the Schaeffer puts up better numbers.
smile.gif

A buddy of mine and myself just took the plunge and purchased about $300 worth of the stuff from Bob and Tim Mills.
patriot.gif

This is on top of the ~$80 worth of Schaeffer oil I purchased last fall.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

Thanks a lot guys. I am about 1600 miles from the next oil change and I will order 5W30 Schaeffer's Oil from Tim Mills soon. I really like this web site and the people who come to this web site really seem to know what they are talking about. I can't find any negative information about Schaeffer's Oil. I checked out the bearing test results and if they are accurate then anybody would use Schaeffer's oil-even over Mobil 1 or Amsoil. I am going to the K&N oil filter because of the BOBISTHEOILGUY oil filter tests.

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
I can't find any reason not to use Schaeffer oils except for the hassle of finding it or mail ordering it. Me?...I think it's worth the hassle.

Pat,
I don't think that Bob said that base oil doesn't matter, just that it's not the sole deciding factor...note the prominent notice Schaeffer makes of base oil on their data sheets.

Ken

In a way he is saying that the base oil does not matter, since he's now running the mineral Schaeffer Oil and not even the blend.

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:

I've maintained that 'Vette and Viper owners would be better off with Schaeffer Supreme 7000 10W30 than the same weight of Mobil 1 ... even the newer SuperSyn.

If I ever win the lottery, I'm definitely buying a Corvette, and I'm going to put Schaeffer Supreme Blend in it and prove that it will work awesome in the LS1.

If I don't win the lottery, I'm still buying a Corvette, but not for another 15 years or so, just after my mortgage is paid off.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Pat,

Ken

In a way he is saying that the base oil does not matter, since he's now running the mineral Schaeffer Oil and not even the blend.

From Schaeffer's tech data page:
--quote--
Micron Moly® Engine Oil SAE 10W-30 is blended from the finest solvent refined, severely raffinate hydroconverted Group II Plus high viscosity index 100% paraffin base stocks available. These paraffin base stocks provide the Micron Moly® Engine Oil SAE 5W-30 with the following:

Excellent Thermal Stability
High Lubricity
Excellent Resistance to Oxidation
Very Good Low Temperature Properties
Low Volatility Characteristics
Excellent Film Strength
--end quote--

Ken

Mystic

I use Schaeffer's Series 7000 15w-40 in everything. 97 Saturn SL1, 98 Ford F-150 4.2L, 03 VW TDI, one diesel John Deere 790 and one gas Massey 135 plus two one lung mowers and a 4 stroke outboard motor.

I don't think you can find a better oil for the price.

Plus if you are a user of grease or gear oil you can't find a better group of products at any price.

quote:

Originally posted by Roger:
Why is the #701 Supreme 7000 SAE 5W30 blended with group II+, but the Supreme 7000 10W30 not blended with group II+ oil?

By definition, 5W-30 has a higher viscosity index than 10W-30. Maybe Schaeffer uses a better base stock with a high VI for the 5W-30 to minimize the amount of viscosity index improver needed.

Ken

What do I think of Schaeffer's?

I'm very impressed with it. Both form information from this site and from my own recent use of Schaeffers with analysis. http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000418

That said, they may have one of the top products out there but their marketing strategy sucks. I live in St. Louis where Schaeffer's is based and never heard of it till I stumbled on this site last summer.
offtopic.gif

Schaeffer looks for high volume end users who'll buy $250 or more of lubes at one time. If you had a farm, truck line, or gravel pit, they'd have been knocking on your door.

I think it would serve them well if they posted a full listing of all retail outlets by state and province on their web site, and maybe some day they will...especially if several people ask for it.

Ken

[ April 28, 2003, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

Pssst! We make some of the best lubrication products in the world ... but let's keep it a secret. DON'T pass it on.

Ken2, even at $250 they don't make it easy. You have to order entire case lots or drums of a particular product. How many of us want to order a case of 6 - 1 gallon containers of Nuetra 131 or a 5-gallon pail of Soy Neutra 131C? Even if I owned a working shop, I would want smaller quantities than that ... to eliminate large batches getting contaminated over time, reduce employee pilfrage, reduce costs associated with etc ...

The exception is Tim Mills in Arkansas. He is a stocking dealer who ships oneseys and twoseys of particular items ... but you pay a fair amount for shipping. This can offset some of the cost effectiveness of some of the products. Micron Moly, for example, is a really cost effective oil at $2.46 but add another $1.00 in shipping per quart and it ceases being a really good deal.

I really believe that Schaeffer would do well if they were to break their case lots down and ship out any amount of a given product within their current batch sizes. If you can put together a combined $250 order of greases, motor oils, gear oils, fuel additives, and some other specialty products, etc ... why not?
confused.gif

Even for amounts less than $250 they should be able to adjust the price and make it attractive to order. Obviously, they feel this is the case with their company store ... but why limit it to just a dozen or so products?
confused.gif

Many companies have figured out there is a lot of money (including better profit margins) with smaller amounts shipped directly to consumers at a higher price. And Schaeffer could use their existing network of dealers to initiate each order. With internet sales, this would be ideal. I could call any rep across the country and have them phone the order in for me. Orders placed directly to the factory by non-dealers would be not allowed.

--- Bror Jace

quote:

By definition, 5W-30 has a higher viscosity index than 10W-30.

This would only be true if you were comparing oils made from exactly the same base oils and additives. But given how multi vis oils can be made from high VI base oils with little or no VI improver, it is quite possible to have a 5w30 with a lower VI than another brand's 10w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back