What Do You Think of Mobil1 5w-50 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was surprised to see Mobil1 redcap as a 5w-50 the other day at Wallyword. Are they phasing out the 15w-50 with this new viscosity ?.

What's everyone think of the 5w-50 Viscosity. I always regarded their 15w-50 as a great racing oil , well respected by many road racers as being their most stable oil visc. This 5w-50 sounds like a really large spread of viscosity, I'm concerned they may be sacrificing something by it, unless they've improved the technology of their oils in recent times reducing the need for VII's.

I thought it was only available in Europe, Australia, etc.

Is it actually API SM or at least SL stuff?

Maybe you get the different product because youre in Canada?

People have liked syntec 5w-50 for certain applications... M1 should be every bit as good if its actually a modern formulation.

JMH

This is interesting news. Mobil 1 5w50 has traditionally only been available outside North America. I knew Mobil was going to have to import it for Mercedes dealers that would be authorized to sell and service the SLR, but I didn't expect them to make it available for retail sale.

yeah I had to do a double take when I first seen it, really surprised me. I'm not sure if it's SM or SL, I'll check next time. I found it strange because in Canada we get only a fraction of the viscosities that US consumers get at Wallyworlds. Up to recent times we only got 5w-30, 10-30 and 15-50. The 20 weights have been showing up lately , now I see the 5w-50 as well.

i went from 15w50 in my BMW, to the 5w40 Delvac b/c the Mobil line didn't have a 40 weight oil that started out thinner than 15w. Now that many manufacturers are coming out with this oil, I've permanently swapped over to it. It provides much smoother idle when cold, and thevalve train has really quietened down during warm-up.

interesting, as I saw M1 15W-50 here for the first time in about ten years the other week. 5W-50 was the only reasonably available M1 for a long time.

They are also making Mobil 1 ESP 5w-40 which is a low SAP oil like the M1 ESP 5w-30. It's under the MSDS page.

Ok, so let's say a car that specs 5W20 in the States is sold in Europe. Such as, for instance, this 2005 Hyundai Accent I have.

In Europe or Aussie-Land, would they still spec 5W20? Or the 5W50 wt.?

quote:

Originally posted by Auto-Union:
Supposedly, it's the best-selling M1 in Europe.

No, it's not. Wasn't available till recently.
Maybe the best-selling M1 in Australia but not in Europe.

Is there a possibility that there is little real difference between M1 5W-50 & 15W-50 (in North America at least)? I've seen M1 claim on their site that (paraphrasing heavily), "Mobil1 15W-50 flows at lower temps. than many leading conventional 5W-30s" on their website...

Mobil 1 5W-50 is the most generally available Mobil 1 here in Australia, although 15W-50, 10W-30 and 15W-50 are available to order at Mobil stations. Why, I do not know, it is not advised for either my Toyota Kluger (Highlander) 3.3 V6 or my Hyundai Getz 1.3 nor I think for the majority of new cars for sale here. I use M1 10W-30 in both, although the Toyota dealers use Valvoline 15W-40 semi synth but are happy to use M1 10W-30 that I supply. Australia likes thick oil.
Roger

quote:

Originally posted by toocrazy2yoo:
Ok, so let's say a car that specs 5W20 in the States is sold in Europe. Such as, for instance, this 2005 Hyundai Accent I have.

In Europe or Aussie-Land, would they still spec 5W20? Or the 5W50 wt.?

MOBIL SUPER GF-2 10W-30 or MOBIL SUPER XHP 15W-40 or MOBIL SUPER HP 20W-50 or MOBIL 1 5W-50 or MOBIL SYNTH S 10W-40 or MOBIL SUPER S 10W-40

You're kidding..

That's a factory spec (anywhere from 10W30 through 20W50, that is)? If that's the pattern across all vehicular makes, none of it means a darned thing regarding viscosity. If ANY viscosity can be specified for a given make of vehicle depending on where in the world that vehicle lands after manufacture, what's the difference, then? Is there a different build on the engine in a car bound for Australia than a car bound for the U.S.?

Or are we simply talking local customs here?
dunno.gif

quote:

I can't possibly think of a single engine which should run 5w50 in it.

Totally agree.

My issues are with such a wide Viscosity Index and with the 50 weight in general.

I use Mobil 1 5W-20 and believe it's ideal. To me, running a 50 weight oil would be like trying to run through waist-high water. Lots of effort expended, very little gain returned.

[ April 21, 2006, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: Iain ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back