What do you think of Hess Gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to always be the cheapest at the locations around me. Would you consider it a top tier gas or cheapo gas?

It's not a Top-Tier gasoline from the list that I have. It's bottom of the barrel and that's probably why it is cheaper.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
It's not a Top-Tier gasoline from the list that I have. It's bottom of the barrel and that's probably why it is cheaper.
wink.gif

You have a list?
whistle.gif

There are some areas (like western new york), where we have NO top tier gas.

Our cars have run fine, and will continue to do so.

I usually find Hess gas while traveling in Pennsylvania, I have had no problems with it.

The key to good gas, is to buy from a station that is somewhat new looking, and a station that moves a lot of gas.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
wink.gif

You have a list?
whistle.gif

USA:
Chevron
Conoco
Entec Stations
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
MFA Oil Company
Phillips
QuikTrip
Shell
Somerset Refinery
Texaco
Tri-Par Oil Company

Canada:
Petro-Canada
Shell-Canada
Sunoco-Canada
Chevron-Canada

Hawaii:
Aloha Petroleum

Originally Posted By: JustinH
There are some areas (like western new york), where we have NO top tier gas.

Our cars have run fine, and will continue to do so.

I usually find Hess gas while traveling in Pennsylvania, I have had no problems with it.

The key to good gas, is to buy from a station that is somewhat new looking, and a station that moves a lot of gas.

Part in red...they are usally the newest and nice stations around...at least where I live. Their price usally means they are full with customers.

Last edited:
Sad thing is, there is only 1 Shell Gas station in my area between work, fiance's and my house. I don't buy gas from them because they are 20cents more than other places. I typically buy from Hess or Fuel Co and if in the area my buddies self owned gas station 100% gas, none of that ethanol [censored].

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
wink.gif

You have a list?
whistle.gif

USA:
Chevron
Conoco
Entec Stations
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
MFA Oil Company
Phillips
QuikTrip
Shell
Somerset Refinery
Texaco
Tri-Par Oil Company

Canada:
Petro-Canada
Shell-Canada
Sunoco-Canada
Chevron-Canada

Hawaii:
Aloha Petroleum

Surprising list...I thought BP and Mobil/Exxon would have been on there.

I used Hess when I was living in FL. It wasn't a scientific experiment or anything, but I always seemed to get somewhat worse MPG on it compared to Shell, so in the end it wasn't really any cheaper to buy Hess.

I wouldnt say bottom of the barrel - all local gas comes from the same one or two refineries. It is the additization which makes a difference of any sort.

Hess is well known around me. It gets good traffic, which is the most important thing - clean, well maintained stations (with good tanks, separators and filters) with high turnover are the most important things. A stale batch of top-tier fuel isnt going to do anybody any good.

BP I could see possibly, but XOM? I don't think so...
LOL.gif

WHAT...what is wrong with Exxon/Mobil/Esso gas? I've ripped apart motors to replace heads and such on vehicles that lived on Mobil diets(93 octane) and the valves had almost 0 carbon on them. Mobil used to be pretty popular here until about 4 years ago when the pulled the indi dealers out of our market. Just curious what makes you think its a [censored] gas.

Oh there is no doubt that it's good quality ordinary gas, but IMO XOM would have to be forced to make it a Top-Tier fuel because selling a fuel that is more profitable is a priority.

Oh there is no doubt that it's good quality ordinary gas, but IMO XOM would have to be forced to make it a Top-Tier fuel because selling a fuel that is more profitable is a priority.

Yeah, I see what your saying and their stock price reflects it. It does pretty good though regarding carbon deposits though from what I've seen.

Oh no doubt... I used it for 70K KM in my truck when I was buying gas from Canadian Tire who's supplied by XOM and I have had no ill effects, I'm just talking about Top-Tier.

XOM is all about profits because they are a huge company so why would they want to convert to top-tier when there is no financial gain but only an associated cost to do so?

The others like Shell etc, are out to gain market share and to try and over take the worlds biggest oil company XOM customers, so they are in a different position IMO and thus try to offer a superior product to gain customers.

It's all a game, and if I were the CEO of XOM I can't say I wouldn't play it the same way!
thumbsup2.gif

(The cheapest cost product that will retain customers!)

Last edited:
Dude...your way into thinking XOM is the only oil co. thinking about profits. ALL OIL CO.s THINK ABOUT THE BOTTOM DOLLAR

Hess works for me here in FL. No difference in preformance or mileage. I do try to not buy one brand always. Volvo did a study long ago and recomended switching brands regularly. There testing demonstrated that some fuel detergets worked better on some types of deposits than others. Maybe not the same now but, I still mix top tier with non-top tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back