What do you think is a fair price for a used manual transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, So I am selling a used manual transmission from a 6th generation honda accord 4cyl. I do not know how many miles are on the transmission. When i bought the transmission it was not in a vehicle so im not sure that it actually works properly but i was told it does. It goes into all the gears and the outputs spin properly by hand depending what gear i am in. What do you think would be a fair price to sell the transmission for?

What did you pay for it?

Without being a salvage yard that will give some sort of short term warranty in case it doesn't work, not much. Putting it on craigslist and expecting top dollar will be hard to get. Realistically, it might be hard to sell at any price.
What can and does happen with stick vehicles that go into salvage yards occasionally is that a shifter fork breaks in an accident. You said it goes in all gears so that is covered. What about the input shaft bearing?
That is a very common wear issue on higher mileage manual transmissions regardless of the brand.

Say $200 at most. A used car parts vendor might get more than double that, but usually they will at least claim to know the mileage, and give some kind of warranty.

i feel with parts like this, its all about documentation. if the history is completely unknown, then its not worth much. if you have a video of it operating in a vehicle or receipts for rebuilding then that helps value a good bit.

Originally Posted by justintendo
i feel with parts like this, its all about documentation. if the history is completely unknown, then its not worth much. if you have a video of it operating in a vehicle or receipts for rebuilding then that helps value a good bit.

Same.

You could "ask" what a typical price is at a wrecking yard, and subtract 25%

Originally Posted by justintendo

Agreed. I wouldn't even bother with a completely unknown unit like this. It's a core.

$50~100 unless very good condition, for a Japanese OEM manual. A bit more if the clutch and pressure plate / bell housing is included and is in excellent condition. Manual transmissions are easy to inspect, so open it up and if it looks like a low mileage unit with little syncro wear and a good pattern on the gears, shifts smoothly, etc you might ask up to $500. If any performance improvements were made, the sky's the limit but you need to know what was done.

For reference, 5 and 6 speed manuals for my Miata ( Mazda built, also RX7, Honda S2000, Ford Ranger truck, some Kias) run $100 for a worn but working unit to maybe $300 for one in excellent condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back