What do you think I should offer for this Mercedes?

Per the owner, it needs a seat fuse (the front power seat isn't working fuse is blown out $6 from Auto zone 30 AMP), it needs a motor mount ($27 off amazon). Not sure how hard it is to put in or what a mechanic would charge for labor. Needs a good clean which you can tell from the pics (I can do that myself), a hood ornament ($18 off ebay), and the rear bumper needs some paint (I'll probably just leave it like that or spray paint that area $6 for a white spray can from Autozone).

I'm thinking about buying it and flipping it. Market value is $5,383. I can fix it up (my budget to fix it is $500 (oil change would be around $60 diy. Spark plugs if needed $40 for 12 from Autozone apparently each cylinder has 2 spark plugs. Air filter and cabin air filter if needed is $25 for both from auto zone). So, I am looking at $162 for things it needs and basic maintenance.

I could list it for $6k and sell it for $5k or around that.

I'll have $338 left if anything else pops up.

Owner says the car has no oil leaks and such. I offered him $1,300. That's $200 below rough trade-in (a dealership would probably offer him $1k since it needs a few things).

What do y'all think?

Per the owner, it needs a seat fuse (the front power seat isn't working fuse is blown out $6 from Auto zone 30 AMP), it needs a motor mount ($27 off amazon). Not sure how hard it is to put in or what a mechanic would charge for labor. Needs a good clean which you can tell from the pics (I can do that myself), a hood ornament ($18 off ebay), and the rear bumper needs some paint (I'll probably just leave it like that or spray paint that area $6 for a white spray can from Autozone).

I'm thinking about buying it and flipping it. Market value is $5,383. I can fix it up (my budget to fix it is $500 (oil change would be around $60 diy. Spark plugs if needed $40 for 12 from Autozone apparently each cylinder has 2 spark plugs. Air filter and cabin air filter if needed is $25 for both from auto zone). So, I am looking at $162 for things it needs and basic maintenance.

I could list it for $6k and sell it for $5k or around that.

I'll have $338 left if anything else pops up.

Owner says the car has no oil leaks and such. I offered him $1,300. That's $200 below rough trade-in (a dealership would probably offer him $1k since it needs a few things).

What do y'all think?
Not sure why he wouldn’t put a fuse in
I do know those German motors cost a ton
700 in an Audi

Unless you've looked at it in person, you really have no idea what you're getting into. I don't see this being a successful flip.
I haven't seen it in person yet.

I offered him $1,300. If he accepts it I'll go take a look at it.

If not, oh well.

That is true. He probably doesn't know how to put a fuse in :ROFLMAO:

I doubt the motor is bad. It's only got 125k miles on it but you never know
I bought an Audi A six at the auction and I wasn’t really planning on it. Had to make a quick decision while the owner was on the
90,000 miles in the motor was bad which I found out afterwards.
There was a big margin there between book at 10 and retail at 18
Still made quite a bit but I was shocked at the price of the motor

Even $1300 can be too much for that if it needs anything more than basic maintenance. A minor repair (on other makes) can burn a 3K hole in your wallet and more real quick. I would have to go through it with a fine tooth comb before I made any offer, it may be a diamond in the rough or a real nightmare depending on your skills and equipment.

My first mercedes I got for $450, fixed up a little, then sold for ~1500 ish.

It was a 240d w123. The nerd's mercedes.

First guys who came up to look at it were this Hatian family from Worcester, 2.5 hours away. They showed up in a nice BMW. They were looking for a flashy car. They didn't like mine. The four of them hovered around me, perhaps trying to intimidate me, in my driveway mentioning they drove 2.5 hours. I wished them a pleasant journey home.

The people wanting your 18 year old benz are looking for flash on the cheap. Those in the know, know what a basket case they are to maintain.

Edit, looked at the pics.

See how they detailed the interior and polished the plastic headlamps? You're dealing with a pro or semi-pro.

Last edited:
the motor in these is unkillable, requires zero maintenance just turn the key and go, easy 300k+. tranny is very tough but if it has a radiator made by valeo you need to change it before it leaks coolant into the transmission fluid. i'd buy it as a beater and not a flipper. even the cdi benzes struggle to sell for more than 5k.

if you can't do all the work, flipping cars isn't for you.

Last edited:
I bought an Audi A six at the auction and I wasn’t really planning on it. Had to make a quick decision while the owner was on the
90,000 miles in the motor was bad which I found out afterwards.
There was a big margin there between book at 10 and retail at 18
Still made quite a bit but I was shocked at the price of the motor
I had a 2016 S6 4.0T here with a blown motor (extensive block damage, not rebuildable), a used low mile engine was 14K for this car and a big and not the easiest job to do.

I guess being from NY and having sold cars professionally makes me a skeptic. If all that car needed was a fuse, a good detailing and "some tlc" wouldn't the seller do that, and pocket the extra cash? I would and so would most people on this board. Judging from the house it's parked in front of the owner isn't stupid, or poor. Yea it might not be his house, but............. He could easily pay someone to make the repairs he stated it needed in his ad and still be ahead of the game. I'm not saying goood deals aren't out there, but I would want to go over that car with fine tooth comb too. As @Trav stated you can burn through 3K real quick, especially if you aren't proficient at auto repair.

I had an older 300se once upon a time. I can attest to the maxim that 'there is nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes'
1615662859377.jpg

Back