What do you think about Lucas oil and grease product

So Lucas product are, good, average bad bottom of the barrel , in general what do you think ?

I really like their green xtra grease, since I never burn a bearing on my travel trailer :)

Looking a something priced right for CVT oil and lucas seems to have that available so are they reliable ?

The grease youre talking about might be serviceable, but you won’t find many fans of Lucas here, myself included, because they sell snake oil.

Im not extremely familiar with their whole product line, but their “Oil Stabilizer” (perhaps their best-known product) has been debunked as being little more than gear oil.

Another one they sell that makes a lot of money for auto parts stores is the so-called “Upper Cylinder Lubricant”. Doubt it does much either.

Personally? Id avoid anything with that name on it.

I sold Lucas products at a truck dealership I worked at. The grease was a hot item and so was the regular oil stabilizer. I don’t use the stuff though. I used the upper cylinder lubricant in an old service truck I had at every fill up and had a seat of the pants difference but no scientific information to back it up. It just seemed to run better in the old carbureted engine.

A lubrication engineer once told me that Lucas’ priorities are completely on marketing and they spend so much money on advertising that they don't have anything left for research or quality ingredients in their products. They do support racing with their advertising, which is a good thing.

I currently use the red & tacky grease in my travel trailer wheel bearings. It is readily available and is very reasonably priced.

I have used other Lucas products in the past with some success. Sure it might be snake oil but it saved me (or allowed me to avoid spending) money I didn't have at the time. I'm specifically referencing their transmission slip fix in a 1998 Chrysler T&C. Agree it didn't fix the issue, but it saved me miles and time in a van that ended up being replaced due to several other issues anyway (body, brake line rusting, A/C, power steering etc...). I agree once you have mechanical issues there is no fix except repair, but the thicker fluid did allow several thousand miles to be gained out of the already worn out transmission. I used Lucas oil stop leak in the power steering of this same van. We were young, flat a$$ broke with 2 little kids and needed it to limp along and that it did. We retired the ole girl with just shy of 300,000 km's on her in 2009.

Just my $0.02

Don't use none of their grease or oil, but their Slick Mist is a good spray wax. ;)
900-696_A_V1.jpg

I've tried Lucas additives a couple times and had issues both. The power steering stuff I got from them basically killed my rack (turned fluid to sludge,) and the oil additive I tried made it tick more then it did...

Same witth DuraLube, I put that in a car decades ago that was noisey and blew the engine 3 days later fwiw...

I don't use additives anymore other then odd fuel cleaner...

I don’t follow the herd mentality here. Anti-Lucas being one of them, I have had good luck with a number of their products include power steering stop leak and their grease.

I have used Lucas Tranmission additives that allowed an old trans to run another 2 years and the power steering fluid definitly woke up a lazy steering rack and slowed down a leak by 80% on a few cars. Their fuel system cleaners are nothing worth using except if you want a little upper cyl lube with the "Tune up in a bottle" product. I used it here and there because I was given a huge bottle and MPG did increase a little but I don't feel it did any cleaning worth while not being a PEA additive. I wont try their oil stabilizer simply because I don't believe in dumping oil additives into an already perfectly balanced oil. I hear good things about their tacky wheel bearing grease but have not tried it. I guess my opinion is they are 50% Snake oil and 50% worth a try (the power steering and trans additives).

Red N Tacky's propensity to seperate over time, the gaudy fonts and pictures on their product containers, the viscosity of their oil products and their other advertising philosophies are hard for me to get past.

Of course it could be the best product in the world and if they came off as gimmicky to me I'd never try them.

Their snake oil products speak for themselves. Their gear and engine oils are marginal at best and nothing I would use in a modern vehicle. Grease products seemed to be a mixed bag. Overall a company and their products I try to avoid.

Back