What do you notice about cars on the road?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea I didn't mean to single you out, but knowing how this forum has been lately, these things blow up into wars all too often. This thread has been kind of fun so I'm glad to see it staying that way.

Last edited:
Pickup trucks: Seems like a lot of pickup trucks I see have either a box in the bed of the truck or have a rack on top. Pickup trucks that are very dirty are probably really using it for work or have no time to clean it.

License plate: Many cars have a car dealer license plate frame, I would say at least 50% of the vehicles I see have them. Speaking of license plates the majority of cars have the current California license plate design which means they are 1995 and newer cars. When I'm driving I would glance at other car license plate and occasionally see the older license plates on older cars which have a different design. Another observation I see is the month sticker on the license plate, it is most likely the month the car was bought/registered.

Daytime running lights (drl): The GM vehicles have the distinct amber drl. Others have either the low beam or high beam as drl. Many of the Saabs seem to have their lights on (headlight and tail light) all the time. VWs have one headlight burned out or even both are off (maybe they disabled the drl).

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
'97-'03 Malibu/Cutlass: headlights with condensation.

Oh yeah, I notice this, too.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Dodge caravans and FWD cars going bzzzt click from the transmissions solenoids when stopping.

Wow!! All Along I though it was just a bad Auto tranny!

I'll add another one:

Chrysler and some GM transmissions making a normal bad sounding transmission noise.

Newer and Older Honda with normal annoying high-pitched belt/timing belt noise.

Corvette, I have yet to see anyone under the age of 55 driving one.

I do notice faded Saab badges maybe because my brother has same thing.

Subaru cars are mostly elderly driving(I own a turbo Legacy wagon).

MB diesels billow nasty smoke except recent ones.

- Hyundai Accent 2005 and older; Noisy and bad exhaust flexible.

- Mazda Protegé 200-2003; EGR valves and link kits need a subscription.

- Honda Accord 1990-1993; "Singing" slushbox sound between 1-2 shift.

- Chrysler Shadow/Sundance; Paint peeling all over but the steel underneath is like new.

- Chrysler FWD LH and JA sedans; Front edge of the hood falling apart due to rust.

- Old Aerostar, Rangers and Fords in general; Whirring/moaning sound from power steering, not sure.

- Honda Civics 2001-2005; Bouncy rear suspension.

- Anything with a Powerstroke diesel; I can smell one within a mile.

- People in Toyotas; usually at the front of a line of cars driving too slow and always riding the brake pedal.

- People with automatic transmissions; Either on the gas or on the brakes, never in between.

Last edited:
I didn't read every post so if this was mentioned above, Im sorry. I have alway noticed how many Dodge Neon's have peeling paint. In huge sheets!

What I notice...

Minivans

Some drivers of these seem to think they have a high performance / muscle car the way they drive them. Perhaps they are just frustrated parents dreaming they are in a Ferrari.

Pickup trucks

The way some owners have them fixed up these appear to have become the new "muscle cars".

Muscle / performance vehicles

Usually an older person behind the wheel of these nowadays given how much they cost now. Back in the 60's & 70's the younger crowd could afford these... now they are all driving minivans.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I didn't read every post so if this was mentioned above, Im sorry. I have alway noticed how many Dodge Neon's have peeling paint. In huge sheets!

I have a 2001 Chrysler Neon where the paint is not peeling and still in reasonable shape.

You must be thinking of the 1GN Neon where I do see that on a regular basis, but not with the 2GN Neons.

It is unfortunate the 1GN had that and some other issues like the head gasket that caused the Neon to develop such a widespread bad reputation. The 2GN Neon is a decent ride for what it is and reliable as well.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Older Nissans and Toyotas always have an exhaust leak.
Most of the vehicles I see with more than one taillight burned out are ones that have a seperate turn signal bulb. People usually notice when they have a bulb out because the turn signal will flash really fast, or not at all. But when the turn signal bulb is a completely different bulb, they never realize that 2, 3 or more brake lights are burnt out.

The weird thing about fast flashing bulbs is that my girlfriend's Grand Am does it sporatically since we got it. I replaced one of the burnt out brake lights and it still does it. None of the lights are burned out... any idea on what it might be, considering all of the bulbs work? Maybe a wrong bulb by the previous owner?

Originally Posted By: rjundi

I'm well under 55 and bought my first new Corvette at age 24. I also know lots of people under 40 owning Corvettes.

But, that is the stereotype that's hard to break...but when you figure a lot of people can't afford one until the kids are gone it isn't too bad a thing, either. It's the gold-chain joke that rubs me wrong LOL!

Originally Posted By: Paul56
What I notice...

[
Pickup trucks

The way some owners have them fixed up these appear to have become the new "muscle cars".

Pickup trucks became the "new musclecar trend" because they are all that's really left with affordable V8 power. People can buy a V8 truck pretty cheap, modify it to be pretty fast inexpensively and have the utility of a pick-up all in one. Not too bad of a deal.

Originally Posted By: Paul56
What I notice...

Minivans

Some drivers of these seem to think they have a high performance / muscle car the way they drive them. Perhaps they are just frustrated parents dreaming they are in a Ferrari.

Pickup trucks

Muscle / performance vehicles

Usually an older person behind the wheel of these nowadays given how much they cost now. Back in the 60's & 70's the younger crowd could afford these... now they are all driving minivans.
lol.gif

Well, mechanically, not the driver.

Here, I'll add another one: Older Chevy Diesels with the loudest Diesel knock ever.

Older 90s Lincoln Town cars- always have the rear dragging the ground and usually some gangster rims.

'04-'08 Acura TLs- Usually driven by girls lol.

GN- I see one maybe every couple of years randomly but it's either a skinny nerdy guy or a gangster that bought a complete piece of [censored] super cheap.

Older Chevy PU- All of them are either lowered or raised, no stock height ones around here.

Late '90s Pontiac Bonneville- I don't want to offend anyone and my mother drives one so keep in mind we're just stereotyping but it's usually white trash driving with every one of their belongings in it.

'80s Cutlass, Regal, Monte Carlo, Gran Prix- Lets just say I haven't see a white person driving one of these in a lot of years nor have I seen one without wire rims and slammed to the ground.

New $55,000 Ford, Dodge, or Chevy diesel or large gas lifted to the heavens truck with 44" tires- Owned and operated by a white guy, less than 5'8" with the little man attitude, first cycle of steroids, flat bill hat, and a So Cal/Rockstar/Metal Mulisha shirt/hat/sticker somewhere.

Civics- I hate to say it but this stereotype holds true at least 80% of the time around here. If it's lowered or has a wing, and we're coming up on it I always bet my girlfriend it's going to be an Asian guy with spiked hair. I've only lost once lol.

What I mainly notice, at traffic lights, is cheap no-name tires on pretty nice cars.
A set of good tires will transform a car.
A set of cheapies will do the same, in a way the driver might not even be aware of.
Of course, anyone uninformed enough to be sold a set of cheap tires is probably not all that aware of the way his car drives anyway.

Early 2000s GM 1/2-ton pick-ups: always missing one DRL.

99-05 Jettas: A lot of them sound like diesel engines. Probably due to poor maintenance. Almost always driven by a white female.

95-05 GM small/mid-size passenger cars w/wheel covers: Always a squeaking sound coming from the tires. Wonder if it's something to do with the wheel cover design, as I have the same problem on my Saturn.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: rjundi

I'm well under 55 and bought my first new Corvette at age 24. I also know lots of people under 40 owning Corvettes.

But, that is the stereotype that's hard to break...but when you figure a lot of people can't afford one until the kids are gone it isn't too bad a thing, either. It's the gold-chain joke that rubs me wrong LOL!

Funny thing is I at a fuel station yesterday next to a ZR06 nearly brand new. Owner was balding, about 65 and wearing a dorky corvette emblem polo shirt. Nice guy, at least it was stick and he ripped out of the fuel station into traffic.

I think around here a Corvette is useless daily driver due to the winter months/conditions.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
I've noticed that the Crown Vic is the #1 cause of slow moving traffic.

I use mine to clear the left lane of left-lane hogs, so that should help speed traffic up.

You'd almost think I was driving in Germany the way they get out of the left lane, complete with a blinker too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back