What do you like about your job/employer?

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Thought we could start a thread and post some positive stuff. What do you like about your job/employer?

While I work for a Fortune 500 company, I feel it's to an extent somewhat family oriented. I don't feel like a number. We all know so many people across the business well and there's a good company culture. I feel comfortable at work and know many others do too. The team I work on (11 people) get along great, some of us really are friends. I can work from home as much as I want. And starting this year they now pay for college 100%, no expenses whatsoever for all 25,000 employees (including part time). That includes Bachelor's, Master's, and some PhD programs. Right now there's 2 universities online but they will be adding more shortly. I'm considering going back and getting my Master's degree because why not if it’s free?

Any other good companies out there?

Last edited:
Its a perfect fit for me.

My specialty in Chemistry is in demand from this and (very nearly) only this employer.
Plus when its not busy, I am free to chew the fat with my colleagues, take an online seminar ( as long as its in Chemistry) or even exercise, its not a clock watching environment.
Plus they pay for team building exercises where we head out on the boat or go to to the shooting range together.
Or if I need to go to the dentist or get a tire fixed, I can just leave the office and get it done as long as I let someone know.
Or if I need a early exit time due to a critical errand same thing.

I am paid well, but not 1%er well.

The only small negative which I gladly accept, is that my boss with all this, of course, feels free to call me into the office at literally anytime even 2 am on the weekend to get me into the building, when its urgent.
Or call me on a Sunday morning and tell me to to be in another state the next day by 8 am on a jobsite, resulting in me booking a flight Sunday afternoon checking into the hotel Sunday nite from a 9 am Sunday notification.

So the work climate alternates between real laid back or 100 mph, which is perfect for my personality.

Last edited:
I am retired now, but my longest employer, 17+ years, allowed me to work with the business and author custom software solution in support of the operation and finance.
Executive staff deemed me mission critical and rewarded me with golden handcuffs.
Semiconductor Mfg is known as the most cutthtoat business in Silicon Valley; that's saying something. I loved every minute of it.

I work with a cute little gal, about 1/2 my age. We have become really good friends over a few years.

She makes my day, and I make hers. We have a couple beers and laughs after work, down at the lake.
NOTHING going on between us, just friends.

Planning a vacation together this spring. She had never been on an airplane or seen an ocean. We are gonna make that happen soon. She is a real "people person" and not a money grabber. My kids and family have met her, and approve.

Other than that, the job sucks! :)

I now work for a start up in the defense sector, as well as some occasional consulting on corporate governance.

What do I like? It is small, chaotic, somewhat disorganized, understaffed, aggressive and risk tolerant but with a solid recognition of the requisite compliance and regulatory needs...in short, it is wild and FUN, it is everything that the 100k+ person company that I severed from isn't. Exec at a startup means you lead, but also do. Working a deal and something has to be done but we don't have on staff yet?? Give me a day, I'll learn enough of it. Each day is a new challenge, or four. Have to like what you do.

Last edited:
I used to recently work for a worldwide technology company, don't want to be too specific. I was terminated from said company for literally going over my managers head with a concern about a serious matter, after I told my manager several times about the issue and no correction was made by him. Any other corporation and I would have been fine, this one and they go for your throat..

I loved working with new materials and processes, and learned new information every day. Every Phd loves to explain things, and I love asking questions. I loved knowing that a process I developed was the worlds first successful materials property measurement in certain high temperature production environments of the material. It felt great to think through, develop a theory, test the theory and verify that it worked all myself. I received company recognition and reward for the development, and it took the process far ahead of any other company in that area, and allowed new material development due to its success.

I hated that I knew how much profit the new technology process was going to make my company.. Millions of dollars across several technologies that the company can apply and optimize materials development for the technology space. Its just beginning to be applied and used for development of new materials at my ex company, and if the software they can develop from the process is invested in, the company can make millions more by licensing the software out to other companies for big, big dollar amounts. As far as 6 months ago, the process I developed has not been successfully duplicated and the measurements they are recording are way off from actual, by at least 25% at 1550*C. Should have thought about that before I was fired, but I've seen them refuse to pay someone an extra 6 months salary so he could retire six months later to train people of his knowledge and skill sets that he acquired over 30+ years with the company. They literally were stuck because the knowledge he had in his head about a process the company developed and had forgotten, and failed to secure a knowledge base of. He was eligible for a employer sponsored retirement package when they went around on Jan. 1st with the early out packages. He put in for retirement, and the company then realized he was almost their entire knowledge base of the process left currently working at the company worldwide. They asked him to stay, saying the packages would probably be the same next year in Jan., but they couldn't promise him they would even have early outs next year. He came to a decision that he would stay six months and document and train all his knowledge to a new group of employees, if they would give him the same package six months later, after their training was completed. That knowledge that he had was easily worth 20 million for the company, easily worth that much. They told him to get ****ed. They would not change the package date and they would not hire him as a contractor to transfer all his knowledge. This simple act of straight forward thinking would have only cost them an additional $40k over a six month period, it was literally the joke of the site. They refused to pay someone an extra half years salary, and push back his early retirement package date six months later, so they created a program to re-gain his knowledge and insight for around 12 million dollars. There were no others alive in the world that had his knowledge and skillsets that the company could hire as a consultant for the technology, no one wanted to work with a corporation that has a reputation as being a slimey bully around the school yard. Its literally what the whole thing boiled down to, their refusal to negotiate and flex policy with an employee that was completely reasonable about his retirement program. This is a non-union company so no guidelines that couldn't have been changed in a special circumstance would have been an issue, they were just being asswholes.

Thought we could start a thread and post some positive stuff. What do you like about your job/employer?

While I work for a Fortune 500 company, I feel it's to an extent somewhat family oriented. I don't feel like a number. We all know so many people across the business well and there's a good company culture. I feel comfortable at work and know many others do too. The team I work on (11 people) get along great, some of us really are friends. I can work from home as much as I want. And starting this year they now pay for college 100%, no expenses whatsoever for all 25,000 employees (including part time). That includes Bachelor's, Master's, and some PhD programs. Right now there's 2 universities online but they will be adding more shortly. I'm considering going back and getting my Master's degree because why not if it’s free?

Any other good companies out there?
my son just graduated college and will start a job in Aug. i hope his company is a generous as yours when it comes to further education.

I used to recently work for a worldwide technology company, don't want to be too specific. I was terminated from said company for literally going over my managers head with a concern about a serious matter, after I told my manager several times about the issue and no correction was made by him. Any other corporation and I would have been fine, this one and they go for your throat..

I loved working with new materials and processes, and learned new information every day. Every Phd loves to explain things, and I love asking questions. I loved knowing that a process I developed was the worlds first successful materials property measurement in certain high temperature production environments of the material. It felt great to think through, develop a theory, test the theory and verify that it worked all myself. I received company recognition and reward for the development, and it took the process far ahead of any other company in that area, and allowed new material development due to its success.

I hated that I knew how much profit the new technology process was going to make my company.. Millions of dollars across several technologies that the company can apply and optimize materials development for the technology space. Its just beginning to be applied and used for development of new materials at my ex company, and if the software they can develop from the process is invested in, the company can make millions more by licensing the software out to other companies for big, big dollar amounts. As far as 6 months ago, the process I developed has not been successfully duplicated and the measurements they are recording are way off from actual, by at least 25% at 1550*C. Should have thought about that before I was fired, but I've seen them refuse to pay someone an extra 6 months salary so he could retire six months later to train people of his knowledge and skill sets that he acquired over 30+ years with the company. They literally were stuck because the knowledge he had in his head about a process the company developed and had forgotten, and failed to secure a knowledge base of. He was eligible for a employer sponsored retirement package when they went around on Jan. 1st with the early out packages. He put in for retirement, and the company then realized he was almost their entire knowledge base of the process left currently working at the company worldwide. They asked him to stay, saying the packages would probably be the same next year in Jan., but they couldn't promise him they would even have early outs next year. He came to a decision that he would stay six months and document and train all his knowledge to a new group of employees, if they would give him the same package six months later, after their training was completed. That knowledge that he had was easily worth 20 million for the company, easily worth that much. They told him to get ****ed. They would not change the package date and they would not hire him as a contractor to transfer all his knowledge. This simple act of straight forward thinking would have only cost them an additional $40k over a six month period, it was literally the joke of the site. They refused to pay someone an extra half years salary, and push back his early retirement package date six months later, so they created a program to re-gain his knowledge and insight for around 12 million dollars. There were no others alive in the world that had his knowledge and skillsets that the company could hire as a consultant for the technology, no one wanted to work with a corporation that has a reputation as being a slimey bully around the school yard. Its literally what the whole thing boiled down to, their refusal to negotiate and flex policy with an employee that was completely reasonable about his retirement program. This is a non-union company so no guidelines that couldn't have been changed in a special circumstance would have been an issue, they were just being asswholes.
IBM didn't become a dinosaur and die the way they do for no reason. I'm sorry that happens to your coworker.

Maybe your friend should go work for TSMC instead? They do the right thing to their people.

IBM didn't become a dinosaur and die the way they do for no reason. I'm sorry that happens to your coworker.

Maybe your friend should go work for TSMC instead? They do the right thing to their people.
He died not at IBM, but rather a similarly large, probably bigger than IBM was corp.

One of the flash storage company currently. Like that it has a lot of the same people in the industry from 2-3 decades ago, my mentors were still there mentoring me after 15 years, and people do respect each other for the effort, we are all friends and do the right thing for each other.

What sucks though is the bean counters, the upper management old boy clubs (there's always one, such is life), keeping the incompetent middle management around prioritizing "visibility" and presentations. So yes, things are "done" but they got rejected by the time we deliver to customers because they aren't really "done" and "need work".

People keep leaving, 1/2 of my team gone since the pandemic, they hire new people to new projects but we never get transferred out of dead beat project because "we are too valuable" yet we "are not performing as expected".

I gave my future boss and my current boss a heads up, if I am not going to get transferred by the deadline and a retention package I like, they can find someone else to work on the new project and the old project. My sign on package are all vested by now and I am free to go if I am not getting something I like.

My boss is a narcissist, at my age I just don't care anymore. We are both over retirement age...he won't stop, and I'm happy to work for him if he leaves me alone. He's stuck in a '70's work ethic, and I'm happy to go back there too...he won't hire young guys anymore...and I won't work with them anymore. We have a wide range of things to work on...and we fix them. If something breaks, we redesign it so it won't fail again. I'm too old to be employable, and I'd never find a job where I can do this sort of work. This is the dream job to be working out the last of my days.

Although I am retired, I too was fortunate to have worked for 2 large corporations(Fortune500) for ~40 years. I liked both companies in different ways. And we all know the negatives of working for others so, I won't go there. Here are the positives.

The first things that come to mind was the medical & dental benefits, 15% off of employee stock purchase, 401K & retirement plan, college tuition reimbursement, chance for advancements within the company(s), 5-6 weeks vacation, inexpensive employee insurances(FMIB, AD&D, Child/Spouse, etc.) YES, this was all about myself & family

I also liked the work environment of >1000 men & women and the camaraderie and teamwork among all of us. Oh sure, there are always some non team players but that's anywhere.

Also, there were scholarship options(up to $2000) for employee children, option to get child hired within the company(Co-Op) during their college tenure and much, much more such as the opportunity to stay within the company while moving out of state or even the country. And there are many opportunities that didn't quite apply to me but it was still there for others.

Yes, I was indeed fortunate.

They for my school.

Family oriented.

I can ask for time off basically whenever (I don’t abuse this and always ask in advance.)

I have access to basically every tool and machine in the shop. Scissor lifts, mini x, tools etc. I should never have to rent anything for around the house stuff.

They pay for health insurance and have a decent 401k match too. I make less on paper at this job vs the last, but with the above, I have more money in my pocket at the end. Overtime and the above benefits make it that much better.

I have been here just under a year and already received a raise and an additional week of vacation.

We are very, VERY well taken care of. We work quite a bit of overtime, so on the anniversary of our start date they average how much OT we worked the prior year, multiply it by how many weeks of vacation we currently have, and then multiply that by our current OT pay. I averaged about 7.5 hours of OT a week last year and have 3 weeks of paid vacation. That’s on top of our performance award, and while I won’t give exact numbers, it allowed me to pay cash for a new zero turn and pay off some debt. We also get pretty nice Christmas gifts… one year it was a roomba vacuum, last year was a really nice YETI blanket.

They also treat us like human beings. If you’re struggling with something, they won’t get mad they’ll actually work with you to help you out. That includes stuff happening outside of the workplace as well… one time I was struggling with taps breaking (6-32, half inch deep into stainless steel), got mad and left after 3 hours and 4 broken taps. The next day my supervisor came to me and told me “I totally understand why you left, but just take a deep breath, if you need to take a walk away from the machine for a bit to clear your mind for 20 minutes or so that’s totally fine, don’t burn up all your vacation time over some stupid taps. Vacation time is for fun stuff!”

I worked for a couple of great companies in the student loan business. I retired last October at the age of 66 and I thoroughly enjoy retirement. I feel if you don't like your job it's best to find another one. Most of my working years were in jobs that I really enjoyed. I liked our vacation time, hours, and the buildings we worked in. If you work for a company that cares about their employees generally it'a a good company. I really enjoyed working with my co-workers in most of the jobs I had any my hours were from 7:00 to 4:00 Monday through Friday and off at noon on Friday's. My commute was about 8 miles and took 15 to 20 minutes to drive to work. If I wanted to take time off anytime during the day it was not a problem and I was not chained to a computer like a galley slave. Vacation or time off was easily available and there was no need to request it weeks in advance like most companies.

Good benefits, federal holidays, working from home, I can take an hour and a half off mid-day to run to the gym. It's a great breaker because I constantly get PO'd and am burnt out (OT is available but I can't bring myself to do it because I don't want to make an error and I'll never see the extra $$ anyways).

Back