What do you guys think of this wheel on my car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the new wheels. They are a bit extreme, but they do look sweet. There is always a "balance" to be reached between form and function. Always. And that "balance" is totally up to you.

People ride in all kinds of "extreme" stanced vehicles....because to them, form reigns supreme. It's all about form, style, and "the scene". I get it.

I recently upgraded the 16" steel wheels and hub cabs on my 2010 Accord. I went with 18" OEM rims with a matte black powder coat finish. I love them. But my car is used for traveling all over the country...dragging my kid and his bike to BMX races. Function was a HUGE variable in my equation. Form played a smaller role, but I still wanted something better than those factory steelies and [censored] wheel covers.

Go with what you like. Just make sure you like it and understand the consequences of leaning so heavily towards form.

Here's my car now:

IMG_20160328_115142148_1.jpg

Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
Originally Posted By: Noey
+1, for the actual wheel style. -1, for the size and ridiculous aspect ratio.

It's a Civic dude, nothing looks goofier than meat loaf trying to pass as sirloin.

It's actually an Accord but nice try
thumbsup2.gif

Civic, Accord...no difference. Meat loaf is meat loaf.

+1, for the actual wheel style. -1, for the size and ridiculous aspect ratio.

It's a Civic dude, nothing looks goofier than meat loaf trying to pass as sirloin.

It's actually an Accord but nice try
thumbsup2.gif

Civic, Accord...no difference. Meat loaf is meat loaf.

Uh-huh. What's the "sirloin" in your driveway?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I'm not sure how you can say more money than sense, yet you suggest he buy a luxury brand? A luxury brand will lose him more money than a set of wheels will. Trust me, I know.

Not to mention most luxury vehicles are on 20" wheels to begin with nowadays.

Things we don't need? Things that don't make sense? So you must drive a base model no-frills car and buy all of your clothes at Wal-Mart? Wouldn't buying a BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Acura, or Lexus fall into the same category of "not necessary" as these wheels?

Funny to me that you would be ok with an Acura with "oversized" wheels from the factory, but the same car with a Honda badge, and the same size wheels but aftermarket, is somehow different in your mind?

Please, get over yourself.

I don't think you understand several basic assumptions that you made. I suggested that if he were going to waste the money on wheels, you're better off doing it on a nicer car. Or just save the money for another car. Wheels have basically massive depreciation, it's a personal taste issue, it can actually be a negative when it comes to selling a car. On the other hand, if you drop the extra money into a nicer car, the depreciation isn't as great. When you're playing with massive deprecation, luxury brands are actually decent as used cars as they're not that much more than regular cars, they just suffered massive deprecation. Some people like buying Mercedes E55's for under 20k because they used to be 100k cars.

Seriously. You nailed it. Exactly What I was thinking.

I thought about going the luxury car route when I bought my Accord and I could not justify the 10 to 15 grand price difference over my loaded Accord. $1500 for a set of wheels is a lot cheaper then a new car and I would probably end up spending money on wheels, tint, lowering kit for the luxury car so it does not look like every other Audi A4 or Acura TL sitting in the Starbucks parking lot.

About 3/4 of the cars sold are used cars. I was suggesting the used car route. I drive a Mercedes E350, got it used for under 20k. It's fun to drive and all stock. I just gave someone a ride yesterday and I think I kinda blew his mind a little with the power trunk closer. A completely useless feature but fun. Mind doesn't look like a bunch of other ones on the lot, they made a lot less of them and they all have different sets of options like the pano roof or the bixenon headlamps or the parktronic option which you can see on the bumpers. And it doesn't bother me that there's a bunch of other ones out there that are the same, I don't see too many that are actually modded. Also I think Mercedes kinda learned it's lesson, for a while there 18 was sorta the standard size, but lately they went back to 17 and it's 18 that's an option. I think they got too many complaints of blown tires and bent rims. That's the crazy part of bigger wheels. One guy claims that only happened once in 4 years, but I never had that problem with 15 or 16 inch rims in 10+ years.

Hella flush stance, yo!

Is that the response you were looking for?

I just see it as a waste of $ on "fashion".
Stoked that my 2016 Sportwagen came with 15" alloys and lots of sidewall. Comfy ride and cheap to replace. Function > fashion, but you're still young, so it won't hit you for a while yet. Enjoy them for the meantime and hopefully new tires don't impact your budget too much.

It's way to easy to get you all wound up over nothing.
smile.gif

It's like a bunch of grumpy old men stuck in the past this site. I post what modification I do to my car on here just to get a reaction.

Last edited:
Not really, some are for sure but I'm 58 and like them. I wont post the bigger wheels (only 18") for the Grand Prix when I get them.
Glad you took the heat first.
lol.gif

Last edited:
It's like a bunch of grumpy old men stuck in the past this site. I post what modification I do to my car on here just to get a reaction.

Whatever floats your boat. These tastes do in fact change with age as our priorities in life evolve.

BITOG does have a fairly large adult/older population. If you are seeking applause, you're better off posting this at driveaccord.net or vtec.net. I'm sure all the teenagers there will pee their pants from excitement.
smile.gif

As for me, I like the look of your car and the new wheels. That does not mean I would ever buy them or want them.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Not really, some are for sure but I'm 58 and like them. I wont post the bigger wheels (only 18") for the Grand Prix when I get them.
Glad you took the heat first.
lol.gif

What wheels are you thinking for the GP?

I have a set of 18" GXP wheels that run on my 01 GTX

I knew I was going to catch heat from people here about how they are to big, not stock, I'm going to bend one, ect......

Don't sweat it, do whatever you like man. It looks good, you like it, its your money, its all good.
I was looking at these, they sort of stay with the OE starfish wheel look, just a modern upgrade.

Hawk wheel.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Whatever floats your boat. These tastes do in fact change with age as our priorities in life evolve.

BITOG does have a fairly large adult/older population. If you are seeking applause, you're better off posting this at driveaccord.net or vtec.net. I'm sure all the teenagers there will pee their pants from excitement.
smile.gif

As for me, I like the look of your car and the new wheels. That does not mean I would ever buy them or want them.

I agree. I usually avoid these types of threads, because people don't really want to hear the truth. The sub-title to this thread should be "I'm looking for compliments to stroke my ego, but if you don't like them don't bother posting." LOL

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

smile.gif

I agree. I usually avoid these types of threads, because people don't really want to hear the truth. The sub-title to this thread should be "I'm looking for compliments to stroke my ego, but if you don't like them don't bother posting." LOL

Yeah, they usually all end up the same way. I do like to chip in and say that they look ugly though (because they do). Otherwise the OP ends up getting a skewed view of reality, they think it looks great and they think everyone else thinks it looks great because those are the only comments they get.

Where this shows up is when people try to sell modded cars and it doesn't sell. Tons of people saying it looks great, but usually the rules of various forums forbid negative comments so they're all left scratching their heads wondering why it doesn't sell when everyone who does post says it's great. I only buy stock used cars, modded or enthusiast is just a code word for abused.

Custom means exactly that, custom to your taste. As long as you like it, that's all that matters. If you want to sell it, you're best to change it back to stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back