What do you guys think about this? Synthetic vs conv hydraulic oil use

Synthetic vs. conventional oil

Why can't I use synthetic oil in my wood chipper?

We've been asked time and time again; why can't I use synthetic oil in my wood chipper? Oils are rated on their viscosity, which measures their ability to flow over a period of time at a nominal temperature. Both synthetic and conventional motor oils are tested the same way for measuring their viscosities. Synthetic oils are artificially created to be more consistent than conventional. This is especially true when you look at the molecular level of a single drop of oil. You will find millions of tiny similarly sized and shaped particles. This is what makes synthetic oils flow so easily and feel more slippery than conventional oil. While this is great for your car or trucks engine, it does not perform well in a hydraulic setting. Conventional oils are not consistent at their molecular level, exhibiting a wide variation of size and shape particles; thus less consistent than synthetic. It is this inconsistency at the molecular level that makes conventional oil a better suited performer in a hydraulic application where pressure (or resistance to flow) is required. These little inconsistencies in shape and size are what helps build and maintain pressure whereas synthetic oils will flow but not build pressure like their conventional counterparts. Ex: Synthetic Oil is like funneling sand into a jar, while conventional oil is like funneling pebbles into a jar. A diagram below helps illustrate this:

Just a guess here but I dont believe they use VI in hydraulic oil so if they need a 20 wt they want something that acts like a 20wt where a synthetic might act like a 10w20 conventional. So after the system is under pressure and starts to cool the synthetic might start to bleed down. Either that or their seals are fine with petroleum products but dont tolerate esters well and they cannot control the blend in a synthetic.

That would make me avoid their products entirely.
They make some decent items. I am on the waiting list for a chipper I desperately need. I just find it odd they posted something like that.

I think it could better be said is that they should stick to welding and leave fluid dynamics to the experts.

BeerCan, for your wood chipper, select good motor oil, a better gear oil and oil filter, and the best/ most appropriate grease.

That's the same nonsense that you often see on the subject. Written by someone who doesn't know what they are talking about and likely copy and pasted thousands of times on the Internet.

We have a member here on Bitog that also likes to post it pretty frequently.

Is he wrong about the shape of the molecules? Or how they flow? Or... what exactly? I honestly have no idea what's right or wrong.

Back