what do you gain running stoopidly thick oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
a guy catering an event im having has a 94 suburban with a tbi 454 in it... he runs straight 50 aaannnddd lucas oil additive stuff co i can only imagine how long his filter runs off bypass and how long it takes to flow that molasses tp internals. he pulls a 30 ft trailer and says it helps keep wear down... my bigblock gmc engines in uhauls run 1540. movers here locally who bought old uhauls for moving put 300k plus on them easily.

Originally Posted By: aa1986
What a fool. His 1994 surely won't last more than 20 years doing that.

hes only had it for 3. it was a farm truck before he got it. in 2011 it had 55k on it.

Actually, once at operating temperature, which in an RV, is generally high, 50W oil is not at all "molasses". In fact, it's about the same viscosity as normal oil at normal operating temperatures.

My lawnmower oil reaches 260F, it's M1, 15W-50 and I swear it drains out like water when hot.

yeah the only trucks that get it now are the 26 fters... everything else takes 5w30. the 26ft trucks cold (40/60*f) here are ~50-60 psi cold and have like 30 psi oil presser hot at idle... my uhaul mechanic in the area says majority of the chevy/gmc engines before vortec type motors will go forever on todays 1540.

one of the local moving places here have 2 uhauls with 272k and the other one has 311k. both have had 1540 in them.

15w40 was designed to be used in mixed fleets. When we bought Mobil Delvac, it would have little pictures of motorcycles, cars, pick-ups, tractors, dump trucks and tractor trailers. I know we used to use it in everything in PA. Tri axles, caravans, pick-ups, atc,s whatever without any problems. I think everyone has become brainwashed by the 0w20 fad. Really, 15w40 wont hurt a thing. Back in the day, the Detroit diesels would run straight 40Wt and my Dad would run that in his Dodge pick-up all year long, even in harsh below 0 weather and never had a problem.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
15w40 was designed to be used in mixed fleets. When we bought Mobil Delvac, it would have little pictures of motorcycles, cars, pick-ups, tractors, dump trucks and tractor trailers. I know we used to use it in everything in PA. Tri axles, caravans, pick-ups, atc,s whatever without any problems. I think everyone has become brainwashed by the 0w20 fad. Really, 15w40 wont hurt a thing. Back in the day, the Detroit diesels would run straight 40Wt and my Dad would run that in his Dodge pick-up all year long, even in harsh below 0 weather and never had a problem.

People are not brainwashed by 0w20..You use the thickest oil needed that gets the job done. In my application 0w20 fits the bill perfectly, better cold flow and better gas mileage. I bet I can run straight 50 and the car would still work fine but this is bitog..we try to get the most benefit from our oil. In most other applications I would always follow mfr recommendations. Not just run 50 weight because thats what you have always used.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

what do you gain running stoopidly thick oil?

A lot of valve train clatter for about 5 minutes in 15F weather.

Increased oil filter bypass when cold.

Wow. Maybe his 454 needs an STP chaser too.

More importantly, is he a good caterer?
smile.gif

I don't know why he did it. Here is my stupid thick oil story.
I had a Datsun that smoked a little. I ran two quarts of 20/50 and the rest was stp, it came out slow.I Think it was two cans.My truck ran fine and didnt smoke when i did this.I sold it later and it was still ok. I was young and what can i say. You have to be able to laugh at yourself.

Just as the earth has been warmer and cooler in past eras than it is now, oils have been thinner and thicker in past eras.
As late as the mid 'seventies, GM was recommending 20W-20 for any ambient above 20F.
Is that thin enough for you?
At the same time, BMW was recommending 15W-40 for any ambient above -4F and 20W-50 for any ambient over 14F.
Thick enough for you?
20W-50 was a standard recommendation for many European cars through at least the mid 'nineties. Check out any Mercedes, VW or BMW OM from this era.
My point is that most engines will work on a wide range of viscosity grades.
There is no one true grade for any engine, as anyone who checks what makers recommend in other markets will observe.
I'll close by noting that we ran 10W-40 in everything all winter long for years up into the late 'nineties.
No problems at all.
We now use much thinner oils.
Don't seem to be any problems with them either.

Originally Posted By: leroyd92
a guy catering an event im having has a 94 suburban with a tbi 454 in it... he runs straight 50 aaannnddd lucas oil additive stuff co i can only imagine how long his filter runs off bypass and how long it takes to flow that molasses tp internals. he pulls a 30 ft trailer and says it helps keep wear down... my bigblock gmc engines in uhauls run 1540. movers here locally who bought old uhauls for moving put 300k plus on them easily.

What do you gain by concerning yourself over something as stoopid as another person's choice of oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back