What do you expect for a vehicle life expectancy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming proper maintenance I feel like ~300k miles is what I expect from all of my vehicles. I've seen my dad's 91 corolla hit 350k. Just curious what kind of mileage people expect nowadays.

I'd say that the first 100k should be pretty much zero-trouble on almost any modern car. Even the 100-200k period should still be relatively low-hassle.

I don't go by mileage, but by repair cost.

...if the cost of repair is more than what the vehicle is worth, time to retire said vehicle.

I have no expectations. If the engine blows and i want to keep the car it gets a rebuild or another one.
The car will basically last as long as i want to keep it.

I would consider something to be unreliable if it cannot reach 200k these days without major breakdown. I'd tolerate a radiator or CV boots and some minor oil leak, but that's about it, no rebuild engine or transmission out of warranty or good will.

Originally Posted By: Umibozu
Assuming proper maintenance I feel like ~300k miles is what I expect from all of my vehicles. I've seen my dad's 91 corolla hit 350k. Just curious what kind of mileage people expect nowadays.

I think 300k is a good number especially for modern engines.. I worry about "sealed/non-serviceable" transmissions, and all of the fancy electronics in modern cars nickle-ing and dime-ing you to death..

On another note IMO most modern cars 'should' get you to 200k with just oil changes and air filters.. Our KIA doesn't call for a major service until 100k. Sparkplugs/Anti-freeze change.(IT DOES call for a Transmission fluid change every 60k if its serve service)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: actionstan

I think 300k is a good number especially for modern engines.. I worry about "sealed/non-serviceable" transmissions, and all of the fancy electronics in modern cars nickle-ing and dime-ing you to death..

The electronics freak me out.

Originally Posted By: actionstan

The electronics freak me out.

Electronic drive-by-wire throttle bodies give me nightmares
crazy2.gif

Because of the increse in electronics and cost to replace, I've moved the mileage down to ~ 225,000 dependent on repair cost. Most people I know tend to hit the cost wall at ~ 175,000 miles be they [censored] or US or Kor made. Ed

Last edited:
10 years/200K seems like a pretty good run for a modern vehicle these days.

Do a drain and fill on the tranny and keep oil changed and it isn't too difficult.

Hope to get 250k out of the Accord. Had a new tranny installed at 100k so maybe its possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back