What do YOU do with your used oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just curious what others do with their oil after a change. Do you drop it off somewhere or use it for something else? I usually drop my used motor oil at the automotive center at my local Walmart. Dropped off 2.5 gallons this morning and signed their little book.

You can usually take your recycled oil to the place where you bought the new oil. Where I live AutoZone and other places will usually take the old oil.

Give it in 5 gal pails to garages that have waste oil heaters or local recycling facility.They have a waste oil heater too.

Back to auto stores accepting used oil - or wait when the garbage and recycle truck makes the rounds as our recycle truck accepts used oil.
Now what about oil filters - me, I drain awhile, then cut them open for inspection, then trash.

I dump it in the recycle tank at the local AAP. I bring home the used cat litter jug that I store used oil in, and it goes with my household recycling when the trash man picks it up. I keep my old filters in an empty cat litter tub style container. When it gets full the old filters all go in the filter recycle barrel at an indy garage near my house. I am pretty sure American Filter takes the old used filters from there.

Disposed of at the local ag co-op in their waste oil tank. It's self serve, so I can drop it off at 8pm on a Sunday if I want. No hassle.

Take to the local Council depot...in business hours...which aren't business hourse, as they try to make it 10-4, and then only if someone is available to take it.

aka drive around with it in the back of the truck for a couple of weeks waiting to find a window where the Council will do their job.

Originally Posted By: jamesyarbrough
I fertilize my lawn with it

LOL Back to Autozone here

The shop that does my repairs has a waste oil heater.

I cut the filters apart and put the steel only parts in my single stream recycling container. The facility picks up the iron stuff by magnet so it should be fine whether its an oil filter can or Campbell's soup can. (They have a video on the facility which I watched).

Around here Walmart has a paper log you fill out when you return oil. It appears from the log they get back 5-10 gallons a week. They probably sell 5-10 gallons an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back