What do you do with your used oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Throw them in the campfire to burn off the oil and the innards then scrap the steel. Local recycling place told me this was the way to clean them up for scrapping.

I take mine to Walmart TLE along with my used oil. Can't speak for every WM, but at this one the filters are crushed then tossed into a roll-away trash container. When the truck comes to suck the used oil out of the used oil tank, they take the crushed filters with them. I don't know what becomes of them after that.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
O'Reilly's takes them along with your oil you're recycling.

this is what i do as well.
most of the time they either go back with me, or ask if i know where the tank is, and let me back there by myself.
right next to the oil tank is a drum from safety kleen for filters and other oil "contaminated" items.

autozone won't touch filters around here. the few times i've tried they just point to the nearest garbage can.

most of our trash haulers say empty jugs and used filters are ok, but i'd rather have them handled properly.

There's a gully out back.

Trash can , wrapped in newspaper and in a plastic bag so the hauler won't see it.

At my county's recycling center there is a designated trash can for the filters right next to the container that we dump the oil in. There is also a specific trash can for the empty oil containers.

Put the empty old oil filters in a zip lock bag and take then to quick lube or shop when I drop the old oil off..

I save the oil and take it to Auto Zone or Advanced. The oil filters just go in the garbage. I was a garbage man for a short stint in Florida and alot worse stuff goes in that landfill than oil filters. It all came from Earth, it can all go back.

Everything that we use everyday comes from the earth but, that doesn't mean we should toss it out in the yard (or garbage can) We could certainly do the same with plastic bottles, glass, metal and everything else.

Many communities have waste disposal sites that recycle oil filters (at least her in NC they are pretty common).

I am not a tree-hugger type but, we can all pitch in and do our best to leave things as nice as we found them or perhaps even improve them for our children and grand-children.

I throw them in my douche neighbors pickup bed when he is not looking. When he is looking, they go to the local recycle place.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
I throw them in my douche neighbors pickup bed when he is not looking. When he is looking, they go to the local recycle place.

Winner!
smile.gif

I cut them open, drain all of the oil for recycling, separate all of the metal from the paper and recycle the metal and chuck the filter media. Don't like the idea of this stuff going to waste.

Take them to a Walmart with a TLE. We happily take them. We smash them put them in a 55 gallon drum. From there they are recycled. Put in big ovens, cook the old oil and paper out of them. Then the metal is reused.

Walmart.
Advanced .
ORielys
AutoZone..

Most states and municipalities have strict laws regarding used filter disposal.

I usually take them to O'Reilly's. They take my used oil AND filters. But, this occurred to me. The nearest landfill has been in use well beyond thirty years. In the 80s there was no place to take used oil. In fact, after reading the "take used oil to a collection center" text on an oil container, I called the local EPA office (this was around 1985). The official I spoke with advised putting oil in an old milk jug and tossing it in the trash. So, at the lower levels of the landfill sit a whole bunch of used oil and filters because I'll bet more people changed their own oil back then. And, OCIs were quite a bit shorter than they are now. I'm not encouraging putting this stuff in the trash. I'm just saying that lots of that stuff is buried closer to ground water than anything we would throw away today. Given low curbside recycling participation rates I'll bet a lot of used oil still ends up in landfills. Several years ago I saw a used oil filter at the bottom of my neighborhood creek. That's a pretty sad statement.

Stick them in your neighbor crawl space when they aren't around. Makes for a wonderful smell after a while. J/K

Dirty oil goes to AdvanceAuto, AutoZone, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back