What do you do with your old helmets?

Is there any study to prove old helmets are dangerous, or is this just what everyone has been repeating over and over for decades ? I usually replace my helmets when things are not working or looking good...around 10 years. Of course any new helmet is so much better than a 10 year old one...technology moves on.

I have my old helmets lined up on a shelf in my home office. Lots of memories of great rides, and some not so great rides, when I look at them.

if there are no cracks including hairline type and the internal shock absorber material is sound, then I would carry on using it.
As I do now even if the lining has deteriorated

if there are no cracks including hairline type and the internal shock absorber material is sound, then I would carry on using it.
As I do now even if the lining has deteriorated
The only way to be able to see the cracks is to have the helmet xray’d.

Im glad in auto racing, generally, nobody allows helmets more than 10 years old by the Snell rating. If you can see the helmet is degrading, it is LONG overdue.

I am surprised how many don’t really care about their safety.

1624900359728.jpg
I still wear them. :ROFLMAO:

When my wife got hit on her Hyo Comet, Shoei wanted her helmet for R&D-they sent a paid UPS label to send it to them.

I can understand the industry covering its legal behind. I have two Arai Helmets. One is 30 years old, and my current everday helmet is 10 years old. My helmets are stored in a windowless garage with HVAC, with no appliances. Do I still wear the 30 year old one? Yes, Probably 3 or 4 times a year. And I go helmetless 3 or 4 times a summer in the evening. The 10 year old Arai is a Kevin Swantz Quantum. Great helmet but the 30 year old Quantum is quieter and more comfortable with more features. A race helmet is fairly stark past padding and a shell which is noticeably larger for the same size.

in summary the only time I used the protection of a helmet, was a 30mph slide when someone pulled out in front of me, and bought me a new bike. I was wearing a simple Bell open face and it saved my left check and forehead while sliding on the asphalt. Even a cheap OF helmet is FAR better then nothing IMO and IME.

Back