What do you all think of the Bush administration's position on this POW issue -

Status
Not open for further replies.
WASHINGTON - The Bush administration urged an appeals court Wednesday to overturn a judge's order awarding nearly $1 billion in Iraqi money to 17 Americans taken prisoner by Saddam Hussein (news - web sites)'s government during the 1991 Persian Gulf War (news - web sites).

Attorneys for the POWs, who were tortured and starved, countered that the award — to be paid from Iraqi government assets frozen in this country — in no way threatens the rebuilding of Iraq (news - web sites), taking issue with the central argument of the administration.

Justice Department (news - web sites) attorney Gregory Katsas said that foreign policy interests are at stake, and that the POWs' claims should be handled through diplomatic channels rather than the courts.

The administration maintains that countless people suffered at the hands of Saddam and plenty will be seeking compensation from the new government, jeopardizing its fragile existence. Once the Iraqi government gets on more solid footing, the administration believes reparations could be negotiated.

Stewart Baker, attorney for the POWs, told a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit that his clients simply want the judgment in their favor upheld to affirm their suffering and allow them to collect at a later time.

"French oil companies are going to walk in and say 'I have a contract signed by Saddam Hussein and I want to be paid,' and they're going to have a claim that is recognized under international law," Baker said outside court. "We think this is a debt incurred by Saddam Hussein that deserves much more priority than some French oil contract."

Ret. Col. David Eberly, who was held by the Iraqis for more than 40 days, said the government's effort to void the ruling is disappointing.

"Today, the argument boils down to the fact that the government simply wants to say 'thank you very much for your service and now go home and live forever the horrors and the memories of your captivity and the torture that went on.'" he said. "I think that's unjust."

Eberly was shot down over northwest Iraq on Jan. 19, 1991, and captured by Iraqi soldiers who beat him daily and fed him just bread and broth.

The POWs filed suit against Iraq in April 2002 under a 1996 law that allows victims to pursue blocked assets if they've won damage awards against foreign governments that sponsor terrorism.

U.S. District Judge Richard W. Roberts sided with the POWs last summer and ordered payment of $653 million in compensatory damages and $306 million in punitive damages.

But the Justice Department stepped in and said the POWs could not have access to any of the $1.7 billion of Iraqi assets frozen in 1990. It argued that President Bush (news - web sites) formally seized those assets after the invasion of Iraq last year and that the money would be used for rebuilding the country. Judge Roberts reluctantly agreed that the government had the right to block those funds from being used.

Lets just give all the available money in the world to lawyers and let them fight about. Its all about money, lawsuirs, lawyers and greed. I'm sick of it
mad.gif
Its a nutty idea. Sort of on the scale of reparations. Just an opinion though. I'm not gonna bother defending it-just how I feel.
smile.gif

Does this mean my Grandfather who was taken prisoner by the Germans in WW11 should get reparations for his treatment by the Nazis.
What about Senator McCain and the rest of the Vietnam POW's. It's war. I for one am sick of people enriching themselves through lawsuits like this. This BS would open a massive can of worms throuughout the world. Imagine Every country having lawsuits against their former enemies and taking money from them. Only the LAWYERS will win.

Wow - does no one have any opinion on this at all? I'm stunned...

Here, I'll start. I think the administration is wrong on this matter. In this instance, where we clearly were victorious and we have the means to offer some compensation to our former POWs, I think it is right that we do so.

tec, looks like the answer lies in this statement:

quote:

...Once the Iraqi government gets on more solid footing, the administration believes reparations could be negotiated.

Stewart Baker, attorney for the POWs, told a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit that his clients simply want the judgment in their favor upheld to affirm their suffering and allow them to collect at a later time.

"French oil companies are going to walk in and say 'I have a contract signed by Saddam Hussein and I want to be paid,' and they're going to have a claim that is recognized under international law," Baker said outside court. "We think this is a debt incurred by Saddam Hussein that deserves much more priority than some French oil contract."

Hmm, I thought the French traded reactor technology for oil. They shouldn't get a cent.

In regards to class action lawsuits, I think the lawyers representing the plaintiffs bringing the action to the court should be bonded.

That is, if a company wishes to bid on a portion of a school construction project, they must be bonded and post bond. The bond is for the amount of the contract. The bond amount is vouched for by a bonding company. In the event the construction company fails to perform, then the bonding company either forfeits all or part of the bond or the bonding company steps in and finds a contractor to accomplish the remaining work.

This principle could easily be applied to class action lawsuits where the aim is to achieve a monetary compensation for the plaintiffs. Thus, if the legal team bringing the action to court are bonded for the amount being sued for, the jury/judge could have the discretion to decide that, yes, there needs to be a payment to the plaintiffs, but no, it should not for various reasons be paid by the party being sued. Then, all or part of the bond could be awarded as settlement to the plaintiffs.

Of course, there would need to be provision made to insure that the aggrieved party in fact receives payment from the bond and that their legal team do not simply pay the money to themselves as compensation for representing their client. That is, because the legal team erred in bringing suit against an party found, for whatever reason, to be not liable, they should not be allowed compensation from the bond. Of course, if the plaintiffs out of the generosity of their hearts wished to reimburse their legal team as they saw fit, that would be perfectly acceptable.

It seems there are many examples where sound business practices could be applied to the legal services industry for the benefit of society.

[ April 09, 2004, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: ex_MGB ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back