What do y'all think of this first car idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, spent the better part of my weekend out with a friend who's son is looking for his first car. He is 16 and has a budget of around $2000-2500. He is looking mostly at smaller cars with the lowest miles he can find. Most recently he's looking at a 2001 Cavalier with 120K for $2395. He is all for buying it but his dad isn't. He thinks the Cavalier is unreliable, unsafe, and a bad choice. I really don't know about them, but I know many of you have had experience with them and other Ecotec cars. Are they any good? Also, aside from the crash test ratings, how are they in crashes in the real world? If you don't think its a good idea, what should he look for? Thanks!

The Cavi isn't the safest thing on the block in an accident, but it's far from the worst.
My personal fave for a cheap, reliable, durable car is the Ford Taurus.
The Taurus is prosaic and unexciting in every way, but should hold up well in use. A Taurus of similar age and mileage should be easy to find for the same money as this Cavalier.

I'd find a 94/95 Dodge Spirit/Plymouth Acclaim with 2.5/3spd auto.That combination would last nearly forever,if he can live with the boxy style and 4 door "uncoolness".The 3 Spd A413 trans isnt nearly as troublesome as GM and Ford 4spd overdrives.A Dodge Dynasty would apply as well as long as its 2.5/3spd.However the Dynasty cars tend to be loaded with more electronics (load leveling,traveller,overhead display) that would be near impossible to repair now.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The Cavi isn't the safest thing on the block in an accident, but it's far from the worst.
The Taurus is prosaic and unexciting in every way, but should hold up well in use. A Taurus of similar age and mileage should be easy to find for the same money as this Cavalier.

Great advice, I agree.

anything with a 2.2 engine is pretty solid and can take alot of abuse. The chevy Cavy and the pontiac Sunfire both come to mind (i had a cavy) and pounded alot of trouble free miles on it, I took mine to 160,000 miles before i dumped it off as its tranny was starting to make some odd noises. Mnay on here seem to like the Saturns (i dont) but that might be something to consider as well.

I may be mistaken but I do not think they started using the Ecotec engine in the Cavaliers yet in 2001. We had a 2004 and I believe it was the first or second year for the Ecotec. Still doesn't sound too bad for the money if it is in decent mechanical shape.

96-07 Tauruses were one of the safest cars on the road when they were being made

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: renegade_987
Hi all, spent the better part of my weekend out with a friend who's son is looking for his first car. He is 16 and has a budget of around $2000-2500. He is looking mostly at smaller cars with the lowest miles he can find. Most recently he's looking at a 2001 Cavalier with 120K for $2395. He is all for buying it but his dad isn't. He thinks the Cavalier is unreliable, unsafe, and a bad choice. I really don't know about them, but I know many of you have had experience with them and other Ecotec cars. Are they any good? Also, aside from the crash test ratings, how are they in crashes in the real world? If you don't think its a good idea, what should he look for? Thanks!

When my daughters were getting first cars I suggested manual transmission. Reason being if there is a problem its hundreds for a new clutch not thousands for a reman transmission. Hard to ruin a manual transmission unless you really try. They are glad they can now drive a manual. None of their (girl) friends can. (And their husbands can fix anything now).

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: renegade_987

When my daughters were getting first cars I suggested manual transmission. Reason being if there is a problem its hundreds for a new clutch not thousands for a reman transmission. Hard to ruin a manual transmission unless you really try. They are glad they can now drive a manual. None of their (girl) friends can. (And their husbands can fix anything now).

Another plus for a teen driver - it's harder to text and drive. And you don't have to worry about anyone else borrowing the car.

My daughter is extremely glad she learned how to drive a stick (and jump-start a car, and change oil...) She's used those skills to help friends as well as humiliate one guy who was being a know-it-all pest around her :)

Not sure learning on a stick is for everyone though. She took too it like a proverbial duck to water, but I still haven't been able to teach her mother how to drive a stick... :p

As for a good first car... I think something like a Cavalier or Taurus is a good idea. They're both FWD and have had transmission issues through the years, but otherwise OK. But don't rule out something like a Jeep Cherokee or older WJ or ZJ Grand Cherokee. The WJ has the advantage of being newer- they made it through 2004. TWO wheel drive, not jacked up or modified, straight-6 preferred over 5.2 or 5.9 for a young driver- especially a guy that might get addicted to the right foot... Cheap to acquire, very durable, reasonably safe. At least as safe as a Cavalier, anyway.

I'd stay away, as well. I suspect they hold up in crashes fine- I'd be more worried about reliablity. I'd also be warry of a manual, clutches aint cheap. At that age its too easy to rev 'em up and dump 'em for some tire noise. To easy to play racer with a manual. He'll find a way to text anyway.

I'd look at a corolla or sentra from that time period.

The 01 cavalier still has the 2.2 ln2 engine they are overall reliable.... They're the kind of car that nickel and dime you to death though alternator , water pump ect ect. All fixable it's just one thing after another. And yes they got a pretty bad safety rating , as well as the neon. To be honest in that price range I would look at a prism, corolla and civic. Maybe even an elantra. Corolla would be my top choice though , just as reliable as the civic, but more of them and more boring. So a little easier to find for a decent price to.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
My daughter is extremely glad she learned how to drive a stick (and jump-start a car, and change oil...) She's used those skills to help friends as well as humiliate one guy who was being a know-it-all pest around her :)

Not sure learning on a stick is for everyone though. She took too it like a proverbial duck to water, but I still haven't been able to teach her mother how to drive a stick... :p

As for a good first car... I think something like a Cavalier or Taurus is a good idea. They're both FWD and have had transmission issues through the years, but otherwise OK. But don't rule out something like a Jeep Cherokee or older WJ or ZJ Grand Cherokee. The WJ has the advantage of being newer- they made it through 2004. TWO wheel drive, not jacked up or modified, straight-6 preferred over 5.2 or 5.9 for a young driver- especially a guy that might get addicted to the right foot... Cheap to acquire, very durable, reasonably safe. At least as safe as a Cavalier, anyway.

Straight 6 Cherokees, especially 2wd, are pretty light and powerful. Mine had no problem lighting up the right rear on dry pavement and was pretty quick for what it was!

My father put his pickup halfway up a steep hill and told me I'd drive up to the top of it. 4 clutches, 3 starter motors and a few driveshafts ... I made it!

My Perpetual advice for a first car, is a Crown Vic.
If they weren't reliable, or cheap/easy to maintain, they wouldn't have been the cop car, or taxi of choice for so many years.

same engine used in mustangs for years, so parts, both regular and "go faster bits" are available a-plenty, and if properly maintained will last 500,000 miles no prob.

You can pick up a Regal or a Grand Prix with a 3800 in that price range.
01 Cavalier does not have the Ecotec. I think they got it in 2003.

Most everything in that price range is going to have some miles and need some work. Find something that has a timing chain, keeps the big maintenance simple.

Not sure you'll find a ton of good choices at $2500. A 120K mile Cavalier sounds like a pretty decent, rational way to make a low budget work out for daily transportation. Pickups and SUVs are usually beat at that price. Nicer cars (when new) will be ragged out. A good $2500 high school or college car is going to be a Cavalier, Focus, Taurus, Sable, Malibu, Alero, Grand Am, etc.

In that price range, I'd look for a simple econobox, like the cavalier/neon/corolla and then just look for one that's been maintained and seems to have a responsible owner. Safety is 95% driver anyways at this age.
I wouldn't dismiss a timing belt motor but you need proof of its last change.
I'd also get some idea on insurance costs for cars he is interested in. Maybe a Corolla is a bit more to purchase than a Neon but costs $300/year less for insurance?

I would look into an Accent or Elantra. I have owned both and they were great cars for the money. I think private party value on my car is somewhere in the neighborhood of $3k or $4k so he could probably pick up a 2001 or 2002 for what he is looking to spend and IMO it is a little bit better car than the Cavalier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back