What do we know about this product gentlemen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, they share the same address in Tampa FL.

Oddly, my buddy's SOPUS rep sold him a 55 gallon drum of WH ..which was a $150 discount from PZ (YB). They must still carry the brand (or had it in inventory).

That is the thinnest 100C visc I've seen in something that can be called a 20 grade ...at least I think.

A 5w-20 oil with a >2.9 -
There's a "*" attached saying that 5w-30 is the "preferred" visc for A5/B5 ..but not "required". That's got to have some volatility issues ..or so I imagine. Most 20 weights, except for Redline's 5w-20 ..can't make the 2.9 HTHS ..and they gravitate to 8.x-9 cSt. They're A1/B1

Originally Posted By: pbm
Wolf's Head used to be a SOPUS brand but is now the same as Amalie.
Ive never heard of Amalie - what domestic products do they make?

Here's another oddity. The Amalie home page allows you to directly order product on line. They feature Amalie, Wolfshead, and Xcel lubricants.

They don't offer the SYN-PACK in either weight.

It may be the greatest 5w-20 that never was.

I sent Amalie an email asking about the volatility number ..and the fact that they don't even offer to sell the stuff on their own web site.

BTW did anyone else notice it says "formulated to meet or exceed" it doesn't say its approved for any of those specs.

and Hi Gary.. :) ^^^^^^^

Last edited:
So this is a dead product with the name brought back?
The 5W-20 is too thin for me. The bottles are cool looking though.

I dunno if it's a dead product. It's not the competitor it was at one time. There are small blenders carrying the older banners. It's still oil
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I dunno if it's a dead product. It's not the competitor it was at one time. There are small blenders carrying the older banners. It's still oil
21.gif

Maybe it's just me, but the problem I have is not that the brand conjures an image of a dead product, but rather, that it conjures an image of a dead, decapitated canine.

Only a matter of time before the PETA crazies get after these folks. . .

Yeah ..I guess you could grab some pagan "Boars head festival" type association there. Never quite thought about it that way.
lol.gif

The price on the Amalie website is pretty good. If it were on the shelf on sale, I'd prolly try it.
I can't see ordering it though. If I'm gonna order a case of anything, I'll get some high-end proven oil. Amsoil, Redline, etc. No problem ordering something that I know a little about and that's been around the block a few times. My 2 cents.

I was thinking he was asking me. Look at the post above mine.
Probably just a general post, but since it said Re: River rat, I thought it rude to not say something.

I get suspicious when I know ACEA E4 requires TBN>12 and this stuff has a TBN of 10. And MB228.5 requires ash>1.00% and this stuff is 1% (I'm referring to the 15W-40). There is only one 15W-40 on the MB228.5 and it isn't made by Amalie. All their 15W-40s are 228.3/E7.
I think they decided to claim their oil meets every spec they can think of.
I think there's a lot of that in lube oil advertising.

Charlie

Also oil that's ACEA A1/B1/A5/B5 has HTHSB3/B4 is >3.5. It's impossible to be both. So they have to made up at least some of those specs.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back