What do short trips do to oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apart from the obvious condensation causing sulphuric and nitric acids? I understand TBN goes down quick since more of the alkyl components get depleted while neutralizing the acid. But what else happens?

Reason I ask is I started a new job which requires me to take a train to downtown (unless I fight the traffic and pay 30 bucks per day parking). Train station is 1 mile away from home and oil probably wont reach operating temps in 1 mile either way...

Also, 3 month interval safe enough? I am not sure I'll take any long trips this summer. Perhaps just groceries and nearby mall joint and short trips as such...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a good grp III will have essentially non-existent sulfur and nitrogen impurities. And PAO will have zip of these.

Don't assume your getting high fuel dilution w/o a UOA.

Have you considered riding a bike to/from the train station? That would only take about 7-10 minutes. Walking one mile only takes about 15-20 minutes, depending on how fast you care to go. Anyway, it just seems like driving and parking would take more time that jumping on a bike. I know that weather would also be a factor, especially in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back