What do late model Toyota's use for coolant in northern states when the pink 50/50 isn't enough low temp protection?

What Toyota do you own? SLL is a 100,000 mile coolant. I wouldn’t flush unless it’s been neglected and I definitely would not use water. The FSM for my 4Runner only recommends a drain and fill. This is what the container says if flushing is needed.

346934d1572140263-need-help-draining-coolant-8ae04b9c-abde-4f24-955c-e2bd4c042615-jpg

Have you seen these “Comfort +” accessories?

Last edited:
Looks like someone went water only for awhile. I would still do a series of drain and fills using the Toyota coolant. Just try to find a local dealer near who will sell it for $16/gal. It’s gone up $2/gal in the past year.

I pretty much flushed the block and radiator when I had the hoses off and water pump out at no cost with plain water. I may do a few cycles with distilled water after I put it back together, but makes no sense to flush with coolant unless you like throwing money down the drain. I see NAPA has the Peak full strength and they have a Labor Day special at 20% off if you buy a case of 6.

If it was me, and if Toyota pink was the OE fill, a little Prestone Cor-Guard to fortify the factory fill is what I would do.

Back