what do hi mileage oils do 4 seals

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's more marketing than anything else... But it does work somewhat for minor seepage. The main advantage is that it cleans really well, but for the money I would rather pay a bit extra and get Synthetic.
wink.gif

I have taken engines a part that have been run on HM oils from 75K KM on to their death and let me tell you the seals are in no better shape than those with regular oil.

The engine internals are somewhat cleaner, and sweating/minor-leaking gaskets are in somewhat better condition and it may cut down on consumption issues because it is formulated to be more resistant to burn off but all of these are not enough to justify the price they are asking IMO.

Spend a few dollars more and use Syn.

These HM oils pray on people that haven't looked after their vehicles or vehicles that are prone to leaks. It makes the customer feel like they are squeezing more life out of the engine when in fact they really arent.

A properly maintained engine with regluar oil changes will last a very long time and doesn't need HM oil!

MaxLife stopped leaks in the Subaru and the Saab, my driveway is now clean after many many OCI's of other stuff, from dino to synthetic. At only $14 per jug and I can run it a long time, it's worth it to me to not have to "worry" about it (Saab is a "sludger" and the Subaru has the dreaded head gasket weep). YMMV.

Pennzoil hm worked for me several times by stiopping a leak in my sons oldsmobile 3.1
It really amazed me it really worked we were waiting for a slower week where we had an extra bay and was going to take the engine out and put rear seals in so far so good no leak anymore..

Most seals in modern automobiles are no longer rubber, they are Viton or other synthetic material....which does not swell from ANY oil or additive.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I have taken engines a part that have been run on HM oils from 75K KM on to their death and let me tell you the seals are in no better shape than those with regular oil.

The engine internals are somewhat cleaner, and sweating/minor-leaking gaskets are in somewhat better condition and it may cut down on consumption issues because it is formulated to be more resistant to burn off but all of these are not enough to justify the price they are asking IMO.

Spend a few dollars more and use Syn.

These HM oils pray on people that haven't looked after their vehicles or vehicles that are prone to leaks. It makes the customer feel like they are squeezing more life out of the engine when in fact they really arent.

A properly maintained engine with regluar oil changes will last a very long time and doesn't need HM oil!

Usually the HM oils are the same price as the reg syn oils. So there is no harm in using them.

Time for a test.

Get 2 hardened seals. Place one in a cup of regular oil and the other in a cup of HM oil. After a few days or week check them out.

**I wouldn't say seal swelling as much as reconditioning.

Last edited:
My Blazer sees many short trips, in the city. Its used to drive my Greyhounds to the park. That being said with 76k on the odometer, would the 4.3 be better served with VML full syn,rather then VML syn blend??

I know from my own experience whenever I used Val HM I would definitly see that I would use less oil up to a 1/2 qt over 3000 miles.

In the last year I started using 10W30 Maxlife HM semi syn in my sons 1999 Olds Aurora and it does not burn oil at all. Before using Maxlife it went through a quart every 1000 miles. It also had a minor oil leak and that has just about stopped. I would say the car has used Maxlife the last 10K miles or so. It does take sometime before you notice the benefits of the HM oils. $14 for a 5 quart container at Walmart is VERY affordable... Maxlife also tests out as a very good oil.

Last edited:
Actually, a test should be only ONE seal cut in half and immersed in regular and HM oil.
Then heat them and keep it at a high temperature, like inside an engine.
But this would apply only to one seal and one oil.

HM oils may help, but don't count on it for an engine problem. Probably worth a shot if you are going to change oil anyway.

I would assume you would have to look at the seals under a microscope or measured with a micrometer to actually see how much they swell. I bet they swell some, but dought you could see a measureable difference with the nakid eye. Really, how much would they need to swell up to fill the already tight spot that they are already in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back