What diesel oils were available in the 50's and 60's

Diesel powered light trucks (and some diesel powered cars), are popular in the US nowadays, and there are now quite a few HDEO type oils available. In the 1950's and 1960's, diesel powered vehicles in the US were typically heavy trucks, farm equipment, and industrial machinery.

What engine oils were typically available and favored in these type vehicles/machinery back then?

History of Delvac (and what DELVAC stands for, which I didn't know). Strong Mobil marketing slant, but it give you an idea.

“Series 3” was originally a Caterpillar spec for diesel oils that had high detergency, high ZDDP but comparatively low dispersant levels. Mercedes solved an abnormal wear issue with diesel taxis in the 60s by specifying Series 3. By increasing dispersants it evolved eventually to ACEA E4 (MB228.5), still widely used in heavy duty engines without DPF/SCR.

History of Delvac (and what DELVAC stands for, which I didn't know). Strong Mobil marketing slant, but it give you an idea.

Delvac = "Diesel Engine Lubricant by Vacuum Oil". Vacuum Oil merged with Socony and eventually the combined company became Mobil, long story short.

Delvac = "Diesel Engine Lubricant by Vacuum Oil". Vacuum Oil merged with Socony and eventually the combined company became Mobil, long story short.
The Pegasus came from Magnolia … The old Magnolia building in Dallas eventually became a nice hotel and they refurbished the neon sign …

I think for the longest time, most Diesel engine oils were straight-30 weight. 15W-40 didn’t become a common grade until the 1970’s? 1980’s?

I think for the longest time, most Diesel engine oils were straight-30 weight. 15W-40 didn’t become a common grade until the 1970’s? 1980’s?
Chevron 1953!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210911-173008.jpg
    Screenshot_20210911-173008.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 55
“Series 3” was originally a Caterpillar spec for diesel oils that had high detergency, high ZDDP but comparatively low dispersant levels. Mercedes solved an abnormal wear issue with diesel taxis in the 60s by specifying Series 3. By increasing dispersants it evolved eventually to ACEA E4 (MB228.5), still widely used in heavy duty engines without DPF/SCR.
What was true then about high detergent and high ZDDP oils is true today. People think they can use a diesel oil for their over revving their flat tappet engine, and all will be well because it a high ZDDP oil. WRONG, the added detergent displaces the ZDDP and 1500ppm ZDDP becomes no better than a 600ppm ZDDP Super Tech oil in the same approximate weight.

Back