What detergents are used in 2 stroke oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading the test criteria for jaso fc/fd compared to iso egd and they both mention detergency requirements. I pulled a couple of msds but couldn't see anything..
Is pea wishful thinking? Im using valvoline durablend at c. 500:1 in a 4 stroke, plugs are clean and im wondering what they use.
TIA
smile.gif

PEA's are targeted primarily for engine fuel system cleaning.

In some of the synthetic oils special alcohols and esters are used for cleaning, but I doubt these will be found in a blend.

I would not use a motor oil in my fuel system as the PI (additive) package contains a lot of metallic-based additives that could contribute to ash deposits on the piston crown and valve stems.

I would use a fuel system treatment such as Techron or Redline SI if I thought the fuel system needed cleaning.

For quality two-stroke oils a touch of calcium and esters are used for cleaning.

Suggestion, use one of the above fuel system cleaners in your fuel and then mix with your two-=stroke oil.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Last edited:
I was trying to accomplish a maintenance dose of cleaner at less cost than si1. I also convinced myself that a small amount of 2t would improve ring seal in the same way a wet compression test can.
I hear what you're saying about burning motor oil fouling plugs and such, but 2t is meant to be burnt clean, and is ashless so I figured id be safe from fouling.
Im also keeping an eye on my catch tank, thinking that if it fills slower there must be less blowby, proving my ringseal theory.
Kind of a nothing-to-lose, satisfy my curiosity sort of thing..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Olas
I was trying to accomplish a maintenance dose of cleaner at less cost than si1. I also convinced myself that a small amount of 2t would improve ring seal in the same way a wet compression test can.
I hear what you're saying about burning motor oil fouling plugs and such, but 2t is meant to be burnt clean, and is ashless so I figured id be safe from fouling.
Im also keeping an eye on my catch tank, thinking that if it fills slower there must be less blowby, proving my ringseal theory.

Ummmmmmmmm. I don't think the 2t designation has anything to do with burning clean and ashless,TC-W3 is the spec that means the oil burns clean,so look for that on the bottle.
1 ounce per 20 litres of fuel and your good to go.

There is a school of thought/Old wife's tale that ATF will accomplish what you are attempting, at a much lower cost.

I am not advocating this......But it is a time honored, used car lot fix, for blow by and cylinder cleaning. Just sayin'.

The TC designation doesn't appear on the bottle, only JASO FD and ISO EGD.

AFAIK they're both ashless and have high detergency requirements..

The TC designation doesn't appear on the bottle, only JASO FD and ISO EGD.

AFAIK they're both ashless and have high detergency requirements..

You wont find an ashless oil with a JASO FD and ISO rating.

This thread was brought back from the dead...

What were the results of your test?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back