What damage from trying to jump start with jumper cables reversed on 79 Chevy van?

No battery in van so I accidentally connected the jump box backwards, directly to the cables. Apparently the red battery cable went to the engine block which I didn't see until afterwards. Left the cable connected 30 to 60 seconds until I realized it was connected backwards. Put them on correctly and tried again and the starter did click but by now the box must have been pretty low. I noticed the courtesy lights didn't come on with the door open. What damage could have happened? Alternator fried? Fuses or fuseable links if any, blown. At least no computers to worry about.

So did you try to start it or turn the key on with it connected backwards?

With a good battery, it "should" still crank.

If you did alligator clips to old battery terminals, that connection is so poor you probably saved yourself.

My dad did this with booster cables on our 78 Chevy truck when I was a kid. It blew the fusible link which was an easy repair. Everything else was fine.

I once fried a handheld radio when I didn’t realize that the setting for positive or negative ground was in the wrong place.
While a 1979 van doesn’t have a ton of electronics, it has some, and I’d guess that they are suspect….

Back