What Companys are useing Group III Hydrocracked or Isomerized?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old car 107,000 miles on it and do not want to spend the money on true synthetic oil for it. I would like to be able to pick up a decent Group III oil of the shelf. It is a family sedan and see's all highway driveing. I am not brand loyal. Price is primary concern. Thanks !!!

The problem is that most group 3s cost just as much as true synthetics.

Schaeffer's blends come in at around $3 per quart and perform like a fully synthetic oil. They'll outperform any group three oil on the market without a doubt.

As Patman said Group III=waste of money. Look at Chevron and Castrol GTX 10W-30. Should be able to take you 4 to 5K (probably max) oil changes-Highway.

Sometimes you can find shell rotella T group III synth for $12.88/gal at wal-mart... Thats cheaper than a true synth, does work pretty well, and has the robust additive chemistry of a diesel oil...
It is a 5w-40 though, so its your choice if you want to push the visc up that bit. The overall 'smartness' of such a choice, as compared to a good dinoi like pennzoil or castrol is something you have to think about, I wouldnt push the drain much more with a group III, so you might just end up spending more and not really getting more. Only oil analysis and a few tries can tell you for sure.

JMH

I was under the impression that alot of companys where botteling group threes under regular non-synthetic brands. I must of misunderstood. I must be thinking of hydrocracked group II's then. I was under the impression that prior to castrols big "100% Synthetic" lie that most premium oils were blended group II's and group III's. Well since the Castrol lie no one puts a premium label on their product any more they are all either semi-synthetic or just plain labeled. I say one store brand of oil that actuly stated it was severly hydrocked but did not tell if it was group II of III. The brand was "Travel Master". Travel Master is the store brand at Tractor Supply Company. I was also woundering about Walmarts Tech 2000 synthetic at the price they sell it at it must be group III and not a PAO? It would be nice if oil companys told you what the primary base stock was in their product.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
I was under the impression that alot of companys where botteling group threes under regular non-synthetic brands. I must of misunderstood. I must be thinking of hydrocracked group II's then. I was under the impression that prior to castrols big "100% Synthetic" lie that most premium oils were blended group II's and group III's. Well since the Castrol lie no one puts a premium label on their product any more they are all either semi-synthetic or just plain labeled. I say one store brand of oil that actuly stated it was severly hydrocked but did not tell if it was group II of III. The brand was "Travel Master". Travel Master is the store brand at Tractor Supply Company. I was also woundering about Walmarts Tech 2000 synthetic at the price they sell it at it must be group III and not a PAO? It would be nice if oil companys told you what the primary base stock was in their product.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

All conventional oils that meet the GF-3 specs are Group II or Group II+. The new 5w20 grades have some Group III in them. (It would also be possible to make an oil that meets GF-3 with a blend of Group I and Group III, but I don't know of any domestic maker that's gone that route. It is done in Europe, however, where Group I and III production is more common than Group II.)

WalMart's synthetic (SuperTech in the US, Tech 2000 in Canada) is Group III. The US oil is made by Quaker State and the Canadian oil is made by Petro-Canada.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
All conventional oils that meet the GF-3 specs are Group II or Group II+. The new 5w20 grades have some Group III in them. (It would also be possible to make an oil that meets GF-3 with a blend of Group I and Group III, but I don't know of any domestic maker that's gone that route. It is done in Europe, however, where Group I and III production is more common than Group II.)

Anyone know if the synthetic blends from any of the big producers are Gr-I & Gr-III blends?

Ken

Hmmm I am sure I will be promptly corrected if I am wrong. IMO "additive clash" should not be an issue here:

Assumptions:

1) Your engine fill is 5 quarts and a common weight ~10W30

2) Your seeking a strictly over-the-counter deal. Otherwise, I would recommend you Shaeffers a blend of some sort.

A) 2 quarts of Mobil 1 ~ $9.20
B) 3 quarts of Mobil Drive Clean ~ $3.60
C) SuperTech Filter (AC Delco cousin) ~$1.99

Total oil + filter cost ~$14.79

Now you have a TRUE SYNTHETIC BLEND (PAO/Ester + Group II)...not the pseudo sham valvoline-castrol-quaker state and so on blends that pervade the market. All in all ~14.79 is not bad taking into consideration the Mobil 1 peace of mind
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back