What circumstances would you run a boutique oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Well I'm going to run RP next summer just to see if it as good as the fan boys say. Why because I got it for $20 a Jug and want to see if there is anything to it or is it just hype. I'll be looking for FE under 4 and AL under 2 because that's what on normally get on that cheap oil like QSUD or Castrol EP.

You're like me,I like to see single digit wear metals. On my 300ZX,Castrol GTX was the winner (M1 being the worst and RP coming in 2nd,but all single digit wear metals). I did three uoa's on that car. RP and GTX were 20W50 and M1 was 10W40HM). I've done two on my Accord,QSUD 5W20 and PPHM 10W30,both either single digit or zero wear metals. PPHM was the winner.

When it comes to viscosity,I think every car has its sweet spot, with the oem recommendation of 20W50 for my 300ZX (if driven at sustained high speeds or in hot climates). 10W30 is definitely the sweet spot with my Accord (an actual oem recommendation outside the US).

To the subject of boutiques,I always used Redline and Amsoil in the manual transmission and rear differential of my 300ZX (MT-90,AGL and SVG). As for the Accord,I keep reading how picky Hondas are when you stray away from Honda oem fluids, but I'd like to know if Redline and Amsoil drivetrain fluids would be superior to the Honda dealership stuff.

I never have run a boutique oil...usually drove my cars/trucks to 200,000 - 300,000 miles without issue. So I guess for me to use one it's have to be priced competitively with the over the counter stuff (pennzoil, Mobil 1, Quaker State, RTGT, Castrol, etc). And when I say competitive I mean...same price, otherwise I see no benefit. I paid on average $2.20 a quart for all my oil this year because of the rebates being offered by the above mentioned over the counter oils...you can't beat those prices.

But I have always wanted to try Amsoil.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I don't know of a car manufacturer that recommends anything more than M1.

Depends what you mean by "more than". There are definitely cars that Mobil doesn't make anything for, e.g. most BMWs and Minis.

But I suspect you were referring to the performance level in a general sense rather than the brand per se. If that's the case, I agree.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by robertcope
Originally Posted by JFAllen

Any ACEA: A3/B3/B4 XW30 Engine oil will have a minimum of 3.5HTHS as defined in the specifications
smile.gif

What are some popular 10W-30 A3/B3/B4 options that you would recommend?

Shell Helix HX8 5W30 SN has changed to GF-5 and lost MB/ RN/ VW/ A3/B4, around here.

I moved to Motul 5w30 6100 Syn-nergy A3/B4

Originally Posted by d00df00d
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I don't know of a car manufacturer that recommends anything more than M1.

Depends what you mean by "more than". There are definitely cars that Mobil doesn't make anything for, e.g. most BMWs and Minis.

But I suspect you were referring to the performance level in a general sense rather than the brand per se. If that's the case, I agree.
thumbsup2.gif

It's all about $$. Doesn't Hyundai recommend Quaker State? I know years ago,Volvo oil caps said "Castrol 20W50" on them. My gf's Mustang's gas cap says "BP Fuel Recommended".

Curiosity is as good a reason as any other to run it. I did once. Did not get the results I was hoping for. Won't do again.

According to Merriam-Webster

Definition of boutique
1a : a small shop dealing in fashionable clothing or accessories
b : a small shop within a large department store
2 : a small company that offers highly specialized services or products

I would add

3: something that makes you feel like a Prima Donna - it did it for me

11.gif

Oil changes are annoying. When I use up my stash of oil (of which I have a ton) I'm going to switch to AMSOIL Signature Series. I already did so in a previous car but then sold the car... Oops!

Both of my cars will get 15K mile OCIs with the AMSOIL SS. While I've done tests in the past that showed my Escape did great on cheap regular synthetics for 13K miles when doing 90% easy highway miles while rented on Turo, I doubt that these same oils would deal with how I drive it now for the same distance... Lots of short trips, lots of time stuck in traffic, and I drive very harshly. If I switch to the more expensive oil I will have piece of mind that I can do 15K oil changes without worrying about any issues.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back