What Cars or Trucks do you know to have oil related poblems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I`d like to know which vehicles out there are known to have oil related problems, be it sludge or wear! Just curious!!

Hasbeen

cool.gif
Caddy Northstar, bad ring design. They stick, GM has a TSB about it, flushing out the cylinders. You can do that but they still burn oil. GM says 1 quart every 1000 miles is "normal".
rolleyes.gif
Guy at the GM Boards says if you keep synthetic in it and purposely keep it a quart low it will minimize the oil burning. They hold 7.5 quarts, so a quart low won't hurt.

saturn 1.9s have crummy rings that coke up and stick. Rumored to have been fixed in 99 ish.

I can think of two: My sisterinlaw had a 1999 (newer body style) VW jetta with the base model 2.0L gas 4cyl. At 80Kmi it would consume 1qt/500mi!! It burned 1qt/1Kmi when she bought it with 20Kmi. The thing ran like a top, didn't smoke or leak a drop!
In following several isuzu boards, the 1998-2000 Isuzu 3.2/3.5L can be an oil "consumer" as well. A faulty design of the oil ring is the suspected cause. If you can keep the ring pack clean from day #1, they seem to be okay. The 1992-1997 run of isuzu 3.2L can suffer from a hydraulic valve lash adjuster "tick" if you stretch the OCI too much. The oil orifice in them is prone to plugging, causing the lifter to collapse. Keep CLEAN oil in them & they are ok.
G/luck
Joel

Unfortunately, my favorite motor, the LS1 which goes into the 98-02 F-bodies and 97-04 Corvettes, is an engine prone to both piston slap and oil burning. The 2001 model year seems to be especially bad for oil burning, due to low tension rings they used that year.

The 98 Formula I used to own didn't have any oil burning or piston slap issues though, so not all examples of this engine are bad.

I've read that 5th gen. VTEC Prelude's have consumption issues. I don't know if there's any truth to this, my buddy has a 98' and doesn't have any problems. I read a lot of people's opinion's on the internet... hard to pick out fact from fiction. I don't see any TSB's or recall's on alldata.com

quote:

My sisterinlaw had a 1999 (newer body style) VW jetta with the base model 2.0L gas 4cyl. At 80Kmi it would consume 1qt/500mi!! It burned 1qt/1Kmi when she bought it with 20Kmi. The thing ran like a top, didn't smoke or leak a drop!

VW did have a service action for 1999/2000 2.0 gas engines that experienced excessive oil consumption. It included new piston rings and honing an "X" pattern into the cylinder walls for additional oil retention. I'm fairly sure VW had the situation under control by the 2001 model year since we see very few of them with oil issues. My Wife drives an `03 Golf 2.0. I run Rotella T 5w40 in it and the consumption is negligible. There are several other employees at this dealership driving 2.0s, none of them have ever reported an oil problem. IMO, the VW/Audi 1.8 turbo engine has more oil issues than the 2.0. The bottom line is....if you're driving a 1.8t and you don't like to change your oil, be prepared for an oil pump and/or turbo failure. We've seen way too many 1.8t customers that drive them hard and never even look at the dipstick.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Volkster:

VW did have a service action for 1999/2000 2.0 gas engines that experienced excessive oil consumption. It included new piston rings and honing an "X" pattern into the cylinder walls for additional oil retention. I'm fairly sure VW had the situation under control by the 2001 model year since we see very few of them with oil issues.

Think again. A friend of mine bought a 2002 Golf for his girlfriend and they just had VW rebuild their engine because it was burning too much oil. I don't know the exact figure but it was more than a liter every 2000km. They bought the car new and it had less than 50,000km on it when they rebuilt it for them. They tried to weasel out of the rebuild but my friend was very persistant and finally convinced them to re-ring it.

quote:

Think again. A friend of mine bought a 2002 Golf for his girlfriend and they just had VW rebuild their engine because it was burning too much oil.

Hi Patman. I think the term I used was "very few". Oil consumption for 1999/2000 was more widespread. Glad to hear they got the re-ring done though. I work in VW/Audi parts. I know VW service requires some kind of documented oil consumption test before VW warranty will approve any work. Its a PITA, I know.

[ November 05, 2003, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: Volkster ]

quote:

Originally posted by Volkster:

quote:

Think again. A friend of mine bought a 2002 Golf for his girlfriend and they just had VW rebuild their engine because it was burning too much oil.

Hi Patman. I think the term I used was "very few". Oil consumption for 1999/2000 was more widespread. Glad to hear they got the re-ring done though. I work in VW/Audi parts. I know VW service requires some kind of documented oil consumption test before VW warranty will approve any work. Its a PITA, I know.

Yep, my friend had to go through the oil consumption test first and only then did they finally listen to his rantings and grant him his wish for a rebuild. I believe he's had no issues since then though.

I have seen a lot of Chrysler mini-vans that burn oil. And strangely enough quite a few Honda's too. They Chryslers I can imagine are from some faulty design, but the Honda's are probably owner neglect.

quote:

I have seen a lot of Chrysler mini-vans that burn oil. And strangely enough quite a few Honda's too. .... Chryslers I can imagine are from some faulty design, but the Honda's are probably owner neglect.

I don't know, I can imagine Chrysler has been designing and building cars for a while. I think they know as much about it as Honda.

The 3.0L Mitsubishi engines used in Chrysler minivans and cars started to burn oil at about 70K miles due to poor valve seal design, but that was corrected by the early 90's. I don't know about other Mopar/Mitsu engines. I've also heard anecdotal comments that Hondas, while enjoying a well-deserved stellar reputation for overall quality, have engines that aren't quite the match for Toyota in terms of durability, including oil burning. Not a lot of hard facts -- just anecdotal stories, including from two mechanics I know of. Camshafts in the Ford 2.3L engines back in the 80's would prematurely wear, but that was more a mettalurgy issue, hastened by owners' oil neglect. And what about Chevy Vegas' sleeveless cylinders! And I recently read in these forums that newer Saab engines can supposedly shear the heck out of oil, explaining Saab's specifying only the highest (European) grade oils for those engines.

[ November 05, 2003, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: TC ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back