What can you tell me about this paint damage? PICS

Status
Not open for further replies.
After years of hand polishing my cars I'm stepping into the world of machine polishing with a DA. I was working on my truck and noticed some flaws/damage to the paint on the hood and roof.

This is on my 1999 Nissan Frontier. This truck has had to spend a lot of its years outdoors. I've been pretty good about waxing it around twice per year, but I know that alone won't protect it from the elements.

I'm pretty much a newb in this area, so I'm not even sure what I'm seeing in the paint. This truck is pretty aged and I don't expect it to be perfect nor am I trying to make it perfect.

The damage to the paint looks almost like small cracks. The small white marks in the pics can be felt with your fingernail. They cover much of the hood and roof, but they're so small I never noticed them until this week.

As I said, they are widespread on the hood and roof, but after buffing they seem to be slightly more noticeable. I don't know if the buffing is making them worse, cleaning the paint around them and making them more noticeable, or perhaps cleaning wax filler out of them and making them more obvious.

What say you guys? Have any guesses what this is and what may have caused it? Is it just normal weathering from a decade spent in the elements?

I'm not going to insert the photos in this post because they're quite large. Follow these links to see them. Some of the flaws are highlighted to show you what I'm referring to.

Paintflaws1-Copy_zps016d20b0.jpg

Paintflaws2-Copy_zps7b7a5c75.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like rock chips to me. I have the same on my 07 Corolla..little rock chips in the paint. Besides touchup paint (would be near impossible to do all) my guess would be you would have to have it repainted. Unfortunately that happens when you use your car.. if you find out anything id love to hear as wel to see if any options for this.

They are rock chips and road rash. When you polished/compounded the area, the product residue filled up those areas and made them standout. What you are seeing is polish residue.

you might try Dr. Color Chip, google it and watch the video, I did this on the hood of my Audi and it did a nice job of filling in these small chips.

Hail damage seems more likely, especially since it is more common on the hood and roof.

Would one of the semi permanent coatings like Opti-Seal 2.0 hide those nicks? Maybe the new Duragloss Enviroshield??

Hmmmm....there clearly are rock chips on the normal places like the front of the hood, but these marks also appear on areas that don't normally get chipped, like the back part of the roof.

They also aren't really round like the rock chips, they're tiny lines. That made me think they weren't caused by rocks or debris, but maybe I was guessing wrong.

Try a clay bar, maybe they are small bits of dirt that have been embedded into the paint..

When you touch them with a fingernail does it feel like a hole or a bump?

I clayed the entire car before the photos as part of the prep for polishing. They aren't raised areas.

Some may be rock chips... but the majority of those defects are the beginning of "crow's feet" or clear coat failure.

Nothing will remove/ repair that/them. Look at the last picture... they are really heavy there, in a circular blob to the 7 o'clock... joined together.

Black base colors need sincere attention regarding paint protection because of the solar energy/heat they absorb/retain... a very good sealant should be applied quarterly, if not every two months. Especially in "hot" climates.

Originally Posted By: genynnc
Some may be rock chips... but the majority of those defects are the beginning of "crow's feet" or clear coat failure.

I didn't expect that it was something fixable. It's our 3rd vehicle relegated to hauling stuff, so I expect it to show its age. I suspected it was cracking just by looking at it, but I didn't know enough to even know if that was a real thing.

I just did some googling for "crow's feet" and clear coat failure and found some threads on Auto Geek that show my exact issue identified as clear coat cracking.

Can he do IPA wipedown to remove the polish remnants and then use transparent polish/wax to protect the surface without filling it up with the white material? The trick is to find such a transparent LSP. Any recommendation? I too can use it to minimize the appearance of road rash on my vehicles

The best waxes that don't leave white residue are pure waxes. Often times the white residue isn't the wax itself but cleaners and polishes like Kaolin clay added to most OTC waxes.

Mother's California Gold paste wax is pure and available otc don't use anything labled as a cleaner wax. The Collinites will work well too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back