What can I use to remove mold from paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a truck it was parked under a tree for many years. The paint appears to still be in decent shape. What can I use to get this [censored] off?
I used auto tint safe windex on half of the hood to see how it cleaned up(cause it's what I had at the time) It turned out pretty decent but I'm not sure if it is safe on paint or not but I rinsed if off with clean water after I was done.

Last edited:
Try simple green or other industrial cleaner.

Just be sure to buff and wax it afterwards. Those types of cleaners will strip the wax from paint.

Originally Posted By: crazycrak
I just got a truck it was parked under a tree for many years. The paint appears to still be in decent shape. What can I use to get this [censored] off?
I used auto tint safe windex on half of the hood to see how it cleaned up(cause it's what I had at the time) It turned out pretty decent but I'm not sure if it is safe on paint or not but I rinsed if off with clean water after I was done.

I would use sodium percarbonate (oxyclean) mixed in hot water from a pump sprayer or bucket. get the commercial version if you can. It will fizz up the mold without damaging the finish. . I use it on decks and it doesn't hurt the stain / paint at all.

Cleaners may work but you might have to go with a buffing compound . Other problem with sitting under some trees is sap and bird poo .

Last edited:
There is probably numerous things under the sink that would do it.
I'd go right to old trusty: 50/50 bleach/water. Rinse thoroughly

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hisilver
There is probably numerous things under the sink that would do it.
I'd go right to old trusty: 50/50 bleach/water. Rinse thoroughly

my thoughts exactly.
you can try a million things that MAY work, but why, when there's tried and true, and most importantly CHEAP method that certainly WILL work.

What would be the best way to use the bleach mix scrub it with a sponge and rinse then wash with a car wash soap then wax.

Bleach water will work, keep in mind it is corrosive, so any chips might flash rust. I would also recommending starting off with a milder mix than 50/50. I would try 70/30 water/bleach and work up from there. Don't exceed 50/50, but I think a milder mix should work.

I would apply it with a Hudson Sprayer, let it sit a little then try sponging it. Then rinse, and wash with soap and water. Finish by waxing the car.

You might consider just parking it in direct sunlight for a few days.

Barring that, you may get away with using a fairly strong solution of antimicrobial dishwashing detergent.

I'd stay away from bleach. Strong oxidizers and paint don't mix.

What you really might have is tree sap/aphid droppings on your car and the mold is growing on this.

It might be a good idea to visit a detailing forum like autopia and investigate tree sap removal. Some ideas that came up in a quick google search included isopropyl alchohol solution and WD 40. I would avoid anything very harsh that might damage your finish. Always test a very small spot.

Best of luck!

Any all purpose cleaner should do the trick along with some elbow grease. Home Depot carries ZEP which works very well. Once it is clean and clayed you will get a true picture of what you actually have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back