what brighter headlights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my 70 Lincoln Mk III I want to replace my old style headlamps (standard round H4 and H5) with something brighter. I saw some Sylvania Extravision advertized, but I'm having trouble finding them.

What have you guys used?
Is it available still?
Link?
Recommendations?

I found these by Wagner - do you think they will overload the original wiring?

Wagner

•H5006 Style Bulb
•Round Style bulb measures 5-3/4" in diameter.
•Lens type: 2C1
•Dual Filament for high and low beam.
•Rating (Hi Beam/Low Beam); Volts = 12.8/12.8; Watts = 35/35; Amps = 2.73/2.73; Candlepower = 15,000/20,000;

•H5001 Style Bulb
•Round Style bulb measures 5-3/4" in diameter.
•Lens type: 1C1
•Single Filament for high beam.
•Rating; Volts = 12.8; Watts = 50; Amps = 3.91; Candlepower = 55,000;

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
whoops! sorry didn't see that forum...how do I move it over there?

PM Bill in Utah or Kestas... or any of the moderators.

Skip all this stuff and get "e-code" lights.

The beam pattern is better and you can still get glass lenses, albeit with replaceable bulbs.

Autopal brand on ebay are a cheap decent way to get your feet wet. I got one for my motorcycle (sadly, didn't fit) and the quality was great despite being made in... you know where. If you want to go nuts, visit

danielsternlighting.com

he has some great top shelf stuff.

edit: ebay returned these Hellas...

FWIW, I've put Wagner Halogens on my '66 Mustang (single) and '63 Galaxie (dual) without any problems. They have original wiring, although they've never had to endure winters outside of California. I also had my Mustang headlights adjusted to spec, which REALLY helped as well.

Bought them from Amazon.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
edit: ebay returned these Hellas...

If you're going with European conversion lights, these are definitely the ones to go with. Don't monkey around with some unknown brand of unknown quality from an unknown seller.

As for the Xtravisions, they're excellent, too, if you don't want to spend the money on the conversions. I have them on my old F-150 and they've lasted for over ten years already. You may have to go to a dedicated parts store, since sealed beams are getting rare these days. Walmart used to sell them years ago, but they're long gone from places like that.

I'm concerned about the wiring - this is a 41 yr old American behemoth. If I buy the Hella's and put in Halogen bulbs, will the wiring be able to handle the current?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
I'm concerned about the wiring - this is a 41 yr old American behemoth. If I buy the Hella's and put in Halogen bulbs, will the wiring be able to handle the current?

It shouldn't be a major problem, since you're not putting in higher wattage bulbs. If you are concerned, however, check the Daniel Stern lighting page that was referenced in this thread. They have information about putting in a headlight relay, which will help matters.

The Hellas would be fine with a properly speced bulb. As long as you don't try to run a blue one (which often run higher wattage to compensate for the filter) or some gimmicky over-wattage/off-road bulb, there should be no extra strain on the wiring over the factory headlights. The same deal with apply with the Xtravisions.

Between the Hellas or the Xtravisions, it really all depends upon what you want to spend. You should be able to get Xtravision sealed beams for under $20 a piece. If you want, try the Xtravisions first and see what you think. If you're impressed, the Hellas should be even more impressive. From my experience, the Xtravisions are a huge step above conventional sealed beams, and a noticeable improvement over normal quartz halogen sealed beams.

go to Classic Garage. You want 4 5.25 euro style, preferably w/h-4's in all. They sell Hella, but they also sell Wipro?, an indian brand that copies Cibie, not perfectly but adequately for a much lower price. The only reason for 4 H-4 bulbs is that the low beam will burn out the low bean filament of the H-4, and the high beam uses only the high beam filament of the H-4. The new Cibie low beam from Stern is certainly better, but about $150? a pair for low beams only. 4 wipros from Classic might be $70 for all. Remember the low beam is the harder one to make, so if you mix sets the high beam should be the cheaper ones. I have installed the Indian big square units, and the construction is similar to my old Cibies, with acceptable quality. They also sell Indian made 75w/70 H-4s, designed for standard wiring, possibly a little better if not tinted. Get several extra bulbs just in case. Putco Warehouse did sell a relay kit for $25, the cheapest around. You can always get the Indian Wipro and upgrade to Cibie easily if you want the absolute best, regardless of price. Handle bulbs carefully, use rubbing alcohol to clean, make sure rubber boot on back stays sealed, perhaps w/small dab of liquid rubber. Your wiring harness will have no strain because the load is the same, but relays help new or current light bulbs.
Good luck.

I said wipro for the Indian lights, and should have said NEOLIGHT. Thats what I bought before, not the very best, but good quality at a reasonable price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back