What brands of can spray brake cleaner are friendly to user?

Not sure if CA gets a different formula than everyone else, but all of them work similarly for me. I just choose the least expensive one.
California does get different stuff. At O'Reilly, they jokingly refer to "the good stuff" as the stuff you can't buy in California. If you look on O'Reilly's website, many brake cleaners have notes saying it can't be sold/shipped to California. I don't know if the restriction is chlorinated vs non-chlorinated or the % of VOCs but even Brakleen's stuff comes in either green or red spray cans which somewhat indicate the danger or environment impact.

When I cleaned my generator carburetor several months ago, I used both an ancient can (probably 15 years old at least) of Autozone brand cleaner, and a brand new can of Gumout carb cleaner spray.

The Gumout was noticeably more pleasant to use than the old Autozone. Less reek, didn't dry my hands out quite so badly, etc... Of course, that probably means it didn't work nearly as well either; I started with the Autozone and finished with the Gumout, so I couldn't really tell if the Gumout did much other than rinse off the Autozone cleaner.

We had a tech who whenever he did brake work or anything involving brake cleaner he put on one of the dual filter respirators. This was the first time I worked here back in 2003ish. He was mostly diag/tune-up/drivability so it wasn't often, but I remember him telling he to consider it if I valued my health.

We had a tech who whenever he did brake work or anything involving brake cleaner he put on one of the dual filter respirators. This was the first time I worked here back in 2003ish. He was mostly diag/tune-up/drivability so it wasn't often, but I remember him telling he to consider it if I valued my health.
Oh he was spot on but I don't think a dual filter respirator is required unless you are messing with paint especially 2K stuff and even then you have to be sure to get the right cartridges and replace them often, a full air mask is far better for that job.
I can only speak from my own experiences but when I started the pads and shoes were mostly asbestos and very bad for your health I used to wear a respirator mask for those too but even though newer ones are supposed to be asbestos free I don't quite believe it, I am sure some of them have some although in lower amounts especially ones made in third world countries.

I like the one I linked to, it is now way as good as a respirator but plenty good enough for brake and carb cleaner and dust like filler. It is easy to breath through for a long period which a good respirator or N95 without a valve is not.
Wear nitrile gloves when working with spray cleaners and brake jobs, the stuff can permeate the skin and give you some real problems.
I got poisoned with 2K some time ago that was caused by a leak in my system and it landed me in the hospital for a week.

Oh he was spot on but I don't think a dual filter respirator is required unless you are messing with paint especially 2K stuff and even then you have to be sure to get the right cartridges and replace them often, a full air mask is far better for that job.
I can only speak from my own experiences but when I started the pads and shoes were mostly asbestos and very bad for your health I used to wear a respirator mask for those too but even though newer ones are supposed to be asbestos free I don't quite believe it, I am sure some of them have some although in lower amounts especially ones made in third world countries.

I like the one I linked to, it is now way as good as a respirator but plenty good enough for brake and carb cleaner and dust like filler. It is easy to breath through for a long period which a good respirator or N95 without a valve is not.
Wear nitrile gloves when working with spray cleaners and brake jobs, the stuff can permeate the skin and give you some real problems.
I got poisoned with 2K some time ago that was caused by a leak in my system and it landed me in the hospital for a week.

Was watching one of the car restoration shows … first time I saw the painter in what looked like a NASA suit - but it really made sense … (he could “make shine” too) 😷

Here is some info on the subject. Chlorinated apparently is banned in California.

View attachment 73246
image.jpg

Local parts store had this. I live in NorCal. Compared to original chlorinated brake cleaner using perchloroethylene, it dries slower but smells sweeter. I can drive to Reno and get original Brakleen.

I took these photos of CRC product at Canadian Tire. The red cans do not say Chorinated anymore. The blue cans still say non-chlorinated. The red cans are on sale at Napa in Canada.

4EC9433B-6516-4EA6-AB4E-5F04CC238569.jpegC7D6E57B-9B19-402A-BE62-7CD18EFDD312.jpeg

Last edited:
Back