What brand of oil in you lawnmowers, or tractors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M1 10w-30 in the tractor with Kohler Magnum 12, although I think I might switch to something slightly thicker next time, perhaps Rotella 5w-40.

Supertech synthetic 5w-30 in my Honda GCV160 push mower and Tecumseh-powered snowblower.

My all time favorite for OPE is Schaeffer 15W-40 synth blend. I have long since depleted my stock of this stuff and have moved on to cheaper, conventional 15W-40s which should be good enough for summer duty.

The only time I wouldn't use Schaeffer 15W-40 is when I need serious cold flow properties and would use a PCMO 5W-30 or 10W-30 instead ... like Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Edge or Valvoline Synpower ... whichever has the most metallic or calcium adds I can find.

I haven't seen a sample of the Amsoil 4-stroke oils. What makes them special?

In our old 1985 JD 210 I use Valvoline 20w50. She burns out and needs a rebuild but she seems to love this stuff.

In the push mower Valvoline 10w40. Rototiller has Valvoline 5w30 same with the snow blower and generator.

The gas trimmer, you guessed it! Valvoline two-cycle!!

'plug, I see you're a Valvoline fan. I'd switch all your applications above over to their Max-Life and the better additive package ... no doubt!
thumbsup2.gif

It says that 10W30 oil should be used with my Troy-Bilt Honda engine lawnmower. But in the engine manual it does indicate that 30 weight can be used and if it ever gets hot this summer (very strange summer!) I will probably use 30 weight in the hottest months.

What ever SAE 30 is on sale, Change it every spring.

Every Briggs and Stratton and Tecumseh engine's owners manual I ever seen always so not to use a muti-grade oil. I see alot of people running it. Not that it matters, because I am sure 90% of America runs the their mowers on factory fill and never change it. The mowers are pretty hard to kill.

Originally Posted By: heavyhitter

Every Briggs and Stratton and Tecumseh engine's owners manual I ever seen always so not to use a muti-grade oil.

This chart is in the owner's manual of a lot of B&S garden equipment engines (including my 6.75ft-lb Toro mower):

B_and_S_oil_spec.png

Mobil 1 T&SUV 5W-40 I bought on clearance at O'Reilly's in my Scag zero-turn (26hp Briggs ELS) and Kawasaki ATV. Havoline 10W-30 synthetic, a Big Lots clearance buy, in generator, power washer and push mower with Honda engine. Push mower gets used about 10 minutes a week during grass-growing season for trim work. B&S-powered generator used in what would be termed "severe service" in Hurricane Ivan's aftermath by me and a friend who lives in Pensacola. I'm sure the oil didn't get changed at recommended intervals during that time, but it still runs like a champ.

Last edited:
My BIL's mow the lawn of the apartment they live in. They just got a who-knows-how old 11HP B&S-powered lawn tractor running to do this job over the weekend.

Was basically dry of oil when they got it (sitting forever), put 'Motomaster' small engine oil (straight 30) in it, and it runs good so far, no smoking or death rattles. Consumption yet to be determined.

For my push mowers, I use whatever 5w30 or 10w30 synthetic I have left from my 5-qt. jugs. (PP, Mobil 1, SynPower, Super Tech FS, etc.) Push mowers aren't fussy creatures.

The lawn tractor fill is Mobil 3 10w30.

The snow thrower is running Mobil 1 0w30. (I've used 5w30 previously, trying something new this year).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back