What brand of oil in you lawnmowers, or tractors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Fester
I use Mobil 1 0w-30 Racing oil. Its expensive but nothing is too good for my 1987 Honda mower.
grin2.gif

Hahaha, gotta respect a guy who loves his mower as much as his woman!

I use the Amsoil 0W40 Formula 4-Stroke PowerSports https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aff.aspx
with Amsoil Ea57 oil filter on my 2006 JD 135A tractor with a 22hp JD/Briggs engine. I change oil once a year and use the tractor year round mowing in summer heat and plowing snow in winter cold. The oil is almost as clean when I change it as it was when it went in and never any problems at all, the tractor still runs like new!
thumbsup2.gif
It runs cooler in the summer and starts easy all winter long, there is no oil use at all and I never need to add a single drop between changes!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: eoghan
I use the Amsoil 0W40 Formula 4-Stroke PowerSports https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aff.aspx
with Amsoil Ea57 oil filter on my 2006 JD 135A tractor with a 22hp JD/Briggs engine. I change oil once a year and use the tractor year round mowing in summer heat and plowing snow in winter cold. The oil is almost as clean when I change it as it was when it went in and never any problems at all, the tractor still runs like new!
thumbsup2.gif
It runs cooler in the summer and starts easy all winter long, there is no oil use at all and I never need to add a single drop between changes!
grin2.gif

I have the same JD tractor, I'm gonna try the EA57 Filter! Thanks for posting!
thumbsup2.gif

Motul 300V
900ppm Moly; 1200ppm ZDDP;

Di-Ester Group V. in a 16 HP Briggs VanGuard Commercial (Dhaitsu made) 20 year old engine that runs better than new.

With a Mobil-1 #102 oil filter of course.

Zero wear numbers from Blackstone.

Last edited:
I now use 10W-40 synthetic motorcycle oil.

I use it because oil temps can go over 240F in an air cooled riding mower, lawn tractor, turf tractor, and push trim mower. It has fantastic anti wear, anti foam, antioxidants, anti rust, higher HTHS, and was designed with air cooled engines in mind.

I have a 5 HP push mower(it actually calls for 5W-30 synthetic) an older JD 14 HP Kawasaki turf tractor, a 2008 JD 20 HP lawn tractor. All of these are air cooled and get the synthetic motorcycle oil and Wix filters.

Our Church has a 1989 Honda, liquid cooled turf tractor. I do the maintenance on it and it gets free Valvoline synthetic 10W-30 MaxLife and Honda filters. If the oil and filters for it were not donated, I would use 10W-40 motorcycle oil and Wix filters, if they are even available.

Our 3 cyl, 4640 Ford diesel tractor gets Rotella 15W-40 and New Holland(I think New Holland) filters. A family member fills a 2 1/2 gallon jug from a bulk supply and I believe it is $12.00.

Originally Posted By: FiremarshalRob
Rotella SAE 30.
After reading some replies, I'm wondering if I should be using 10w-30????
I thought almost all lawn equipment called for straight 30wt.

In my experience, the 10-30's seem to smoke a bit more at startup and some guys report consumption issues. I dunno - some of my stuff gets Rotella T 30, and some gets R-T 10-30. No problems yet...
thumbsup2.gif

Rotella T 15w40 in my Briggs walmart mower.

The rest of it is falling apart, but the motor starts on the first pull, no smoke, doesn't burn any oil either.

I change it once a year.

20oz of oil I think..

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Rotella T 15w40 in my Briggs walmart mower.

The rest of it is falling apart, but the motor starts on the first pull, no smoke, doesn't burn any oil either.

I change it once a year.

20oz of oil I think..

I figured those Walmart lawnmower brands sucked. Other then the B&S engine, they look cheaply built. Last week I was looking for a kiddi-pool for my dogs, and saw 3 new, and returned Brute lawnmowers sitting in the corner. They had various memos attatched to them on why they were returned, bad merchandising move to have a steaming pile of returned house brand lawnmowers sitting in the corner of your lawn and garden section....Atleast they came with a nice B&S engine!

Quote:
thumbsup2.gif

You can also use the 3.4" Ea057 or the 4.8" Ea034 It will just stick out a little further however I don't see it being a problem since the hood clears it and it does not stick too far out to get caught on anything.

I figure that the extra capacity is good as well as the extra surface area for more cooling of the oil. I love knowing that I am getting great filtering with the Amsoil filters much better than anything Briggs or John Deere could get me. Also just FYI Wix 2.3" 57035 & 3.4" 51348 & 4.8" 51516 will work as well as Donaldson P550335.

I just wish that I could get an Amsoil AIR filter for it!!!!
right now I use the Briggs filter and foam pre-filter I keep the foam pre-filter oiled with some Amsoil sticky air filter oil then wash and re-oil when needed the paper filter part stays clean!!!

Originally Posted By: FiremarshalRob
Rotella SAE 30.

After reading some replies, I'm wondering if I should be using 10w-30????
I thought almost all lawn equipment called for straight 30wt.

For an air cooled lawnmower, I don't think multi grade dino oil would hold up too well. At least with my 15.5 B&S manual, it recommends against it. SAE 30, or synthetic 5/10w30 is what it recommends, and Rotella SAE30 is good stuff, so nothing to worry about there.
Another tip for anyone that has one of these 15.5 B&S engines. The B&S branded air filter replacement is quite expensive.....$27 here. I found the exact same air filter at Home Depot branded as a John Deere for $13. Even says B&S and the part number on the ends of the filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eoghan
Quote:
thumbsup2.gif

You can also use the 3.4" Ea057 or the 4.8" Ea034 It will just stick out a little further however I don't see it being a problem since the hood clears it and it does not stick too far out to get caught on anything.

I figure that the extra capacity is good as well as the extra surface area for more cooling of the oil. I love knowing that I am getting great filtering with the Amsoil filters much better than anything Briggs or John Deere could get me. Also just FYI Wix 2.3" 57035 & 3.4" 51348 & 4.8" 51516 will work as well as Donaldson P550335.

I just wish that I could get an Amsoil AIR filter for it!!!!
right now I use the Briggs filter and foam pre-filter I keep the foam pre-filter oiled with some Amsoil sticky air filter oil then wash and re-oil when needed the paper filter part stays clean!!!

Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

I know what you mean... I would love to put an Amsoil filter on it. I have an Amsoil sticker on the Deere though!
LOL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back