What brand of oil filter is this?

I removed the oil filter from my 4runner after 7000 miles. It looks great given it's a quick lube filter, honestly this quick lube filter looks in great condition, structurally stiff, better than the made in China wix 57173 filter I replaced with. I believe this filter is better for the money. Can anyone know what filter is this? Is this Champ P968 filter?

IMG_20220515_192608524.jpg
IMG_20220515_192531340.jpg
IMG_20220515_192505723.jpg
IMG_20220515_192537925.jpg
IMG_20220515_192552258.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What brand quick lube place. Also that is the best looking glued felt cap unstructured core filter I've ever seen. I'd trust that in my engine. That glue looks beautiful.

Strange that there is absolutely no numbers stamped on the end caps.

Strange that there is absolutely no numbers stamped on the end caps.
I see them on the picture but cant read them.

The toyota and wix and k&n don't or didn't use and end cap. Just a nice bead of glue around the center and glue the pleats shut. I think Fram uses a center tube. I can't remeber.

What brand quick lube place. Also that is the best looking glued felt cap unstructured core filter I've ever seen. I'd trust that in my engine. That glue looks beautiful.
Its called "Grease monkey". I was surprised to see it, this will be good for another 7000 miles, so much better than the wix 57173.

There is definitely dot matrix printing in photo 2.
If there is, it's certainly not readable. I tried adjusting everything I could in a photo editor and this is the best I could get. Maybe the OP can see with his own eyes what it says, if anything.

1652665344175.jpg

Its called "Grease monkey". I was surprised to see it, this will be good for another 7000 miles, so much better than the wix 57173.
How do you know it will be good for another 7000 miles? If it's a "Grease Monkey" filter, then it's probably some jobber made in China. Did it say where it was made too?

Grease monkey charged me $67 for 7 quarts of synthetic ( supertech 0W20) and this filter. I mean they do over torqued everything, it was hard to undo every bolt and filter but it seems like worth it if you have 5th gen 4runner. 4runner is PITA to change oil.

The center tube is fixed on the filter mount if it is a cartridge type. If the center tube fits snugly to the pleats as it ought to, it could have knocked some of the protruding glue blobs off. You will never know if it happened. You only are seeing the after picture.

How do you know it will be good for another 7000 miles? If it's a "Grease Monkey" filter, then it's probably some jobber made in China. Did it say where it was made too?
The cartridge looks good structurally, it felt better than a Wix cartridge filter. I suspect it's a champ P968 filter.

The cartridge looks good structurally, it felt better than a Wix cartridge filter. I suspect it's a champ P968 filter.
Can't always go by looks to determine how much real life is left in a filter. If your engine is real clean, then it probably will be Ok for another run.

Maybe call Greasy Monkey and ask them who makes their branded oil filters. Might be a reason why they don't say what country they are made in on the filter.

Last edited:
Back