What 'brand" of oil do you notice other people buying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't really ay attention to what people were buying, but when I worked at a W-M lube shop, anyone you asked about oil swore by Valvoline....I even had one co-worker with a 3.3 V-6 powered Chrysler sedan (Concord, I think) that changed the Valvoline Synpower in it every 3,000 kilometers! He knew it was overkill, but didn't care.....

I've noticed most people in these parts (West Central Florida), buy Supertech and Quaker State. Coastal is another popular oil around here.
And by the way, it's dog food . . . for dogs. Dogs lick their behinds and drink out of the "potty." Unless they're a yard dog. Then they lick the behinds and drink out of a bucket.

I have picked up a few habits since frequenting this board but oil purchase voyeurism is not one of them. Yet. The closest to that was when I secretly checked the oil on a coworker's '01 Corolla after I filled the tank for her while she went to pay when we rode to a meeting together. Level was ok but the dipstick was heavily varnished from top to bottom. I broke into a sweat to keep from launching into an ARX and LC20 sermon. Should I feel guilty?

About twenty years ago my dad had an auto parts store and the only thing that sold was Pennzoil. Now when I'm at Wal Mart I see a lot of Super Tech being bought.

What cracks me up is when you tell a redneck that you use 0W-30 or 0W-40 oils and they say: "Oh, you use that water-thin stuff, huh?" Most (>50%) oil buyers at Wal-Mart are either ignorant about oils or redneck or both. They generally like dino oils with a number that starts with at least a "10", and each has their own brand loyalty depending on what sticker is on their favorite Nascar driver's car. **No offense to rednecks and I'm part redneck myself so nobody need get offended here!

Apparently more people are into long OCI's than I would have guessed. I spent 9 hours today in front of Wal-Mart in the cold, damp wind. I only really saw 2 oil purchases, a white jug of shell, and a mostly red 6 pack or whatever of Valvoline. It is possible a few people snuck by while I was looking down some lady's floppy top while she was bending over to pet my dog. With stuff in bags, it is hard to tell just what people do have in their carts. I am sure I saw a bag with a Fram filter and a bottle of Slick 50.

The economy my be picking up here. A bunch of people gave us 5's. I let the club treasurer take the money home to count and don't have a report yet.

Around here Castrol is the ever popular brand overall when I talk about oil with people I know, and when at WM, I see folks buying it more than other brands. When I lived in Pa years ago it was Quaker State and Pennzoil.

i a from stamford, CT> between autozon, wallyworld, a JJJ smal auto store, and an advacned auto, a few miles form me, the first oil that sells off the shelfs, is moblie1, usually 5w30. 2nd woul be, castrol dino, 3rd would be, kendall, 4th sould be havoline. i ALWAYS see valvovline stocked to the edge fo the shelf, looking like it was never sold. quaker state, and pennzoil, moblie dinos, and motorcraft dont move that well. supertechs flter sections is alwasy 75% wiped out, autozone, people are buying hte new autozone oil fitler,s instead of mobile one now. i see pureolator pre 1's empty from time to time, bit as for the others, they jsut seem to sit their. AA filters sell more than frams do, at least at that store. frams barely seell form wallyworld, however the X2 fitlers are usually empty, ir i find other cheaper oilfitlers in hte expensive x2 casing ; ( switched=stolen

My understanding is that shelf space at WalMart is directly proportional to sales. If you want to know what people are buying at WalMart, just look at shelf space. The larger the display, the more they sale. Of course this strategy won't work for all those brands/weights that only get one bottles worth of width.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back