What Brand of Battery should I buy??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superbuick96

Site Donor 2023
What brand of battery should I buy for my 03 Blazer? I don't recall ever buying a vehicle battery before, and have no clue what good brands are? Any suggestions?
Thanks

My ac delco gold in my 98 S10 is 6 years old and works great.

Id go AC or deka VRLA.

Optima if $$ are not an issue,then any of the above listed already! And if you are a member of Costco there batteries are very reasonable and they will take it back w/ out any ?'s.
Joe

Optimas are overrated. I could see using one in a off-road vehicle, otherwise really expensive.
OE Motorcraft batteries are different from the aftermarket you would get at a dealer. Even then they have changed. My OE Motorcraft lasted 4.5 years or so.
A Walmart battery can be warrantied just about anywhere, if it should fail, but I prefer Interstate.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Interstate always is a good brand IMHO.
I have never had a problem with Interstate and all have lasted over 10 years. They also have a coast to coast warranty.

I have also recently used an Energizer brand battery from Walmart in my Cabriolet and it seems well built and others on this board have had good success with them.

Sears DieHard Platinum II, DieHard Gold are good batteries. Put a plat in our expedition when the 6 year old battery was going this past winter. (Had to get jumped at a ski resort and at my mom's place of work) It cranks fast and strong now.

EDIT> DieHard are mfrd. by Interstate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Autozone Duralast/Duralast Gold, and Wallmart Everstart Gold. National warranties and good batteries.

Buy the brand that has a place for warranty replacement close to your home. If all else being equal, I trust a brand source from Johnson Control (Walmart, Sears, etc).

Avoid Interstate batteries,piece of junk and lots of hassles to warranty them.My fathe used to sell Interstate batteries and kicked them out after not warranting a battery.Since he switched to Auto Value batteries,replaced 10 Interstate batteries which the Auto Value parts store in my area warrantied them

The amount of warranty hassle depends on the Interstate dealer/distributor.

The best for warranty that I've seen is Costco, they don't even test the battery, they just give you your money back.

Just swapped out batteries on my truck yesterday. The OE AC Delco lasted almost 6 years. I can't remember the last time I bought a new battery..... maybe 17 years ago.....ages......

Installed a Everstart Maxx from Walmart. Like the others who have posted, I like the fairly low price ($79.50 w/ free install) and the nationwide warranty.

Would have done a Costco battery but didn't want to hassle driving the 20 mins or so, purchase, remove, install, return to Costco.

Normally I'd recommend Interstate, but a good friend had one go bad after only 18 months of use. Sure, the dealer swapped it free of charge, and maybe that was a bad one, but for $100+ I'm a little concerned.

Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
Avoid Interstate batteries,piece of junk and lots of hassles to warranty them.My fathe used to sell Interstate batteries and kicked them out after not warranting a battery.Since he switched to Auto Value batteries,replaced 10 Interstate batteries which the Auto Value parts store in my area warrantied them

There's nothing particularly wrong with Interstate car batteries per se. They're only a reseller and distribution network for JCI batteries.

If there's anything wrong, it could be in handling or proper servicing of the batteries. If there's a problem, it could be that the local distribution network is lax in taking older batteries out of circulation to recharge them + put them back into retail shelves.

With other brands, the key is to get a fresh battery. The one I got from Costco was date stamped the same month I bought it. You don't want to use a battery that's been sitting on a shelf partially discharged for months.

I cant decide between the Autozone Duralast Gold or the Sears DieHard Gold....The Autozone battery will be around $20.00 cheaper then the Sears DieHard, plus has higher crank amps. But it seems like DieHard is a better trusted name as far as Auto Batteries.....Ive heard that Duralast products are made on the cheaper side.....Autozone Duralast Gold or Sears DieHard Gold?

Stay away from the duralast Gold, they are good for a little over a year before you have warrant it.
You are better off with the Duralast Silver if you want to go with AZ.
the Sears Diehard's are pricey, but I believe interstate makes them and you can't really go wrong with that, and they also have a nationwide warranty.
My new favorite battery is Deka out of Pennsyvania..

Originally Posted By: EricF
Stay away from the duralast Gold, they are good for a little over a year before you have warrant it.
You are better off with the Duralast Silver if you want to go with AZ.
the Sears Diehard's are pricey, but I believe interstate makes them and you can't really go wrong with that, and they also have a nationwide warranty.
My new favorite battery is Deka out of Pennsyvania..

Interstate is not a battery manufacturer. They are a reseller of Johnson Controls Inc batteries. The same goes for Duralast and Sears Diehard. Sears Diehard has been exclusively JCI since 1999. Before then they purchased from GM, Exide, and JCI.

http://www.autobatteries.com/brands/diehard.asp
http://www.autobatteries.com/brands/Duralast.asp

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2001/05/10/020617.html

Quote:
MILWAUKEE, May 10 Interstate Battery System of America,
Inc. has honored Johnson Controls, Inc. , a leading global supplier
of automotive and commercial batteries, with its 2000 service excellence award
for outstanding performance of on-time order fill.

Johnson Controls supplies batteries to Interstate Batteries'
328 distributors across the United States and Canada. The company has earned
this award nine of the ten years the award has been in existence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back