What brand diesel fuel you diesel owners using?

Have burned Chevron for many years, and never had a fuel related problem.

The motor home I recently purchased is my first vehicle with a diesel. So I'm anxious to see if others have had particularly good or bad experiences with one brand or another of diesel.

In my research I did find that there is a Top Tier for diesel fuel. But Costco is the only one that has qualified, to date. Anyone have any experience to say that Costco diesel is any different than others? I know they have a limited number of locations that offer diesel.

The motor home I recently purchased is my first vehicle with a diesel. So I'm anxious to see if others have had particularly good or bad experiences with one brand or another of diesel.

In my research I did find that there is a Top Tier for diesel fuel. But Costco is the only one that has qualified, to date. Anyone have any experience to say that Costco diesel is any different than others? I know they have a limited number of locations that offer diesel.
Buy your diesel from a clean and busy station and use an additive at the recommended dose every fill up.

Do you have Cenex stations around you? Many of them have their premium diesel options at the pump which have cold flow improvers, stabilizers, and lubricity, detergency, and cetane boosters already in the fuel.

Buy your diesel from a clean and busy station and use an additive at the recommended dose every fill up.

From what I have read, a good additive can make the difference in extending the life of a diesel. I'm planning on using Optilube Summer+.

Do you have Cenex stations around you? Many of them have their premium diesel options at the pump which have cold flow improvers, stabilizers, and lubricity, detergency, and cetane boosters already in the fuel.
No. None anywhere near me. But I can watch for them when traveling.

When I had my ford diesel trucks and VW tdi I always bought at the newest busiest stations. Turn over is important with diesel to help keep down water and fungus.

Space age is beating the prices of red diesel around here. Costco is not worth the 3 or 4 cents difference for the lines. When abroad, I stick to Chevron mostly, but that's based on good luck with gasoline. Whatever I do, I always use Power Service, pays for itself and then some.

I'm pretty sure it's just a commodity - usually just #2 diesel. It's not even like gasoline where there could be a half dozen different kinds circulating in the same area. However, the last time I bought any was when I had to return a car that my wife borrowed and drove home from a friend's house. I made sure to put in maybe 4 gallons in there at my neighborhood gas station, and I'm pretty sure there was more fuel in there.

I have heard of some using dyed #2 off-road diesel for construction equipment, backup generators, etc. I think it can also be used in place of heating oil or for boilers.

Last edited:
I commuted several years with my '96 Dodge Cummins Ram. I would fill up at either Flying J that was on my commute route. or the local Shell station. One thing I noticed is that I would consistently get 19 mpg when using Flying J. I would get 20mpg consistently when using Shell.

I have a '16 Cummins Ram now. It doesn't get many miles now that I have retired. The last few tankfulls have been the R95 they have been selling at the 76 stations. Supposed to burn cleaner and have a higher Cetane rating. Hopefully less regens and soot in the oil.

Every station in my town is served by Kenan Advantage and they themselves probably buy from whoever is cheapest.

As a fuel transportation company, I don't believe they're specifically involved in buying the fuel. I believe their only job is to handle transportation, where their customer determines which accounts are accessed and where they need to pick up the fuel. They're more like an armored car company moving cash.

In my area, there are four fuel terminals (Chevron, Phillips, Transmontaigne, and Kinder Morgan) but there are multiple fuel transporters coming in and out of that area.

Exxon/Mobil. Car likes it and it is a) lowest price in my area and b) offers the best discounts via their repeat customer discount program linked to grocery stores.
Used to be a Shell guy with the previous MB diesel. Current car runs smoother on the Exxon.
Tried many others like Valero, Sunoco, Citgo, and small local chains. Just idles smoothest on Exxon/Mobil.

Back