What blackstone had to say about oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off I want to say I figured they would say what they did about viscosity but I do think they did a geat job answering my questions overall and was happy with the synthetic vs conventional oil debate it basically tells me there is zero point in using a synthetic most the time. Here is the entire message they sent me
smile.gif

The recommended viscosity of the oil is set by the manufacturer, and we generally find that it's best to stick with their recommendations when it comes to the oil viscosity. If your car calls for a 5W/30 oil, then changing to a 5W/20 probably wouldn't give you any better wear, and it might make things worse, if the thinner oil isn't thick enough to protect the bearings and other parts that run under a heavy load. Conversely, a thicker-than-recommended oil may not flow through the engine smoothly enough, especially on cold starts, and that could lead to high wear due to oil starvation. So it's not a matter of thicker or thinner oil giving better wear -- it's a matter of finding the right viscosity for your particular engine, and usually we find that the manufacturer's recommendation is the way to go.

We don't typically see a difference in wear metals when it comes to synthetic vs. conventional oil. The general wisdom is that synthetic oil may have the potential to last longer, because it usually has more additives than conventional oil, and that may hold up better over time, but in most cases, the levels of wear metals or other issues will limit the life of the oil before that would come into play. By testing your oil, we can determine if it would be safe to run longer in your engine, but we don't usually take synthetic vs. conventional into account. We may find that it's okay to run longer on a conventional oil, if everything looks good, or we may recommend changing a synthetic sooner, if we see high wear or contaminants

Originally Posted By: ram_man
First off I want to say I figured they would say what they did about viscosity but I do think they did a geat job answering my questions overall and was happy with the synthetic vs conventional oil debate it basically tells me there is zero point in using a synthetic most the time. Here is the entire message they sent me
smile.gif

The recommended viscosity of the oil is set by the manufacturer, and we generally find that it's best to stick with their recommendations when it comes to the oil viscosity. If your car calls for a 5W/30 oil, then changing to a 5W/20 probably wouldn't give you any better wear, and it might make things worse, if the thinner oil isn't thick enough to protect the bearings and other parts that run under a heavy load. Conversely, a thicker-than-recommended oil may not flow through the engine smoothly enough, especially on cold starts, and that could lead to high wear due to oil starvation. So it's not a matter of thicker or thinner oil giving better wear -- it's a matter of finding the right viscosity for your particular engine, and usually we find that the manufacturer's recommendation is the way to go.

We don't typically see a difference in wear metals when it comes to synthetic vs. conventional oil. The general wisdom is that synthetic oil may have the potential to last longer, because it usually has more additives than conventional oil, and that may hold up better over time, but in most cases, the levels of wear metals or other issues will limit the life of the oil before that would come into play. By testing your oil, we can determine if it would be safe to run longer in your engine, but we don't usually take synthetic vs. conventional into account. We may find that it's okay to run longer on a conventional oil, if everything looks good, or we may recommend changing a synthetic sooner, if we see high wear or contaminants
The writer should run for high political office.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: ram_man
smile.gif

The writer should run for high political office.

Isn't that what all their UOAs basically say? As in, nothing.

Unless you have a coolant leak, you're not really gleaning any useful data from UOAs. Its just a hobby.

The most senseful thing is to buy the cheapest oil you can find that meets your OEM specs and follow your Owner's Manual. Usually synthetic oils are actually cheapest when you combine rebates and sales. So I use syn most of the time, but it costs less than dino.

What about oil condemnation? Blackstone is not particularly adept at detecting coolant intrusion. UOAs are far more useful than just for coolant intrusion issues. You won't determine wear, but you sure as heck can determine a valid extended OCI.

Blackstone caught my coolant leak, probably saved my motor, I'm using no coolant now and am decreasing oci and continuing to monitor, if the metals and coolant don't improve is going to be motor time, I'm not messing with head gaskets if my metals are so high.

Well, they certainly can catch it. They're just not very "certain" about it most times. Usually, it takes one's own interpretation of the data to get an idea, since the most I've ever seen them put down is a question mark in the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back