What best describes the size of your oil stash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Between "small" and "a lot".
grin.gif

Usually keep 2 changes ahead. Right now have a stockpile to complete the thick vs thin test.

A lot, probably 70 quarts, haven't done inventory in a while.

Only clearance. Almost all for $1 per quart.

I keep one change worth. Once I change the oil, I look out for the next sale and restock. Our new car doesn't need oil changes, so my gas car's changes will probably get stretched out to every other year, instead of yearly. Motorcycles will probably maintain a yearly change.

Small, usually 12 qts or less. I pick up a 12 qt case when it goes on sale. By the time the case is almost empty, it's usually on sale again, so I buy another case.

I don't really have a stash. I keep a gallon or so of HDEO on hand for small engines, and a few quarts of PCMO on hand leftover from other oil changes. Garage space is fairly valuable to me because of how much room tools and other things take up, so I'd rather not have a giant stash of oil taking up space to save a couple bucks.

I will look for the best deal beforehand when I know I have an oil change coming up. I service so many vehicles and equipment for friends and family that all take different oil/filters so keeping a stash of a few isn't really a good use of space.

Huge - 70+ qts which would last me 3-4 yrs. Ironic since I had just reduced my stash to 1 yr a few months ago. And then the freebies at AAP showed up.

My stash cost me an average of $1 per quart on name brand synthetics and 25-50c or less per quart on name brand synblends. Some of it I was "paid to buy it."

Sorry, but I can't walk into Walmart and buy a jug of top quality synblend for $1.25 or quarts of QSUD for 39c each. When that does happen forever, then I'll make Walmart my preferred "stash."

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Medium >40qts

When you keep track of your stash in gallons, then it qualifies to titled as a "stash"

About 100 qts of free oil.
I just can't pass up free.
I can do many oil changes for just the cost of the filter, which I get for 1.50 or so from RockAuto.
I will still check out the end of year sales that show up.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
My oil stash is at Walmart

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I think a few people aren't admitting their hoarding problem 😁

Is not a problem until they have to move or ultimately figure out/admit it's just too much oil.

Just enough to top off my mowers and motorcycles if needed. I take my vehicle to a service center to get oil changed and that way I don't have to worry about storing used oil.
Plus I'm not able to crawl under my vehicles anymore.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
None
Enough for top offs
Small
Alot
Huge!

I usually have enough for top offs. I buy when oil change time comes.

The reason you buy oil when oil change time comes is you never hit the montherload or granddaddy of oil sales and that is the infamous clearance or discontinued items. Now these items include the top shelf and even some niche or more obscure names you may not see basking in the media spotlight/"lime light" like OEM suppliers. I never hit the motherload haul until someone here took the time to post of the sale so it was a 1-2 combo/punch of a poster/blogger and a reader/researcher.

I would define it as HUGE, simply because my haul of almost 10 gallons maybe small for someone who has more but then again 10 gallons on 5k oil changes = 50,000 miles, or for 4 qt sump, 60k, a significant chunk of a new car or a used car's life! Add in dealer free oil changes and it goes up to 70k+ ! HUGE!

Last edited:
A lot!
90% in 0W20, rest 5/20.

30- 5L and 4.4L PUP/PPPP, M1 Xperformance, Castrol Magnatec, Maxlife, QSAD.
24- 1L bottles of TGMO SN.
12- 1L bottles of TGMO SM.
12- 1L bottles of MGMO high moly.
12- 1L bottles of MGMO SN.

Probably a few stragglers I’ve forgot...
All jugs on sale with the Penzzoil having $10 off making them $21 and some $17.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back