What best describes the size of your oil stash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: khittner
A hoarding problem would be indicated if someone kept all of the old oil and filters . . .
11.gif

Funny you mention that. I was literally about to start a thread about that. I usually have 18 gallons of used oil. I don't really have much new oil, but it's such a pain to get rid of the old stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say a lot, but it is a relative term, some would say it is huge.

Here is a fairly recent pic (more added since it was taken).
full-4879-7804-image.jpeg

Last I figured it was around 28 gallons of oil, 24 oil filters, 4 gallons of ATF, 12 bottles of fuel fuel cleaner and a gallon or two of coolant.

This is a few years worth of oil for my truck, car, and bike; as well as some fairly regular changes on 3 family members vehicles.
Spent well under $200 for all of it. Probably $1000 retail price for it all.

Am I a hoarder, sure, why not. There are worse things to collect.
I am sure that there are plenty of things that we all have that others could say are a waste as well.

Nonexistent. My truck conveniently takes 5 quarts so I buy a jug when its due for a change. Wife's car goes to the dealer for free maintenance. Cavalier and bikes use HDEO which comes in a gallon jug and they each use almost 4 quarts so I just buy a jug when its time.

I suppose I have a quart of Chainsaw oil lying around and half a quart of 0w-20 for my air compressor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted By: khittner
A hoarding problem would be indicated if someone kept all of the old oil and filters . . .
11.gif

Funny you mention that. I was literally about to start a thread about that. I usually have 18 gallons of used oil. I don't really have much new oil, but it's such a pain to get rid of the old stuff.

Don't your auto parts store take used oil?

I don't stash oil. Any oil I have in my garage is left over from a previous change, or it is there because I have a car that is getting close to an oil change.

When a car is getting within a couple weeks of needing a change, I look in the garage to see if I have enough. If I don't, I tell my wife to pick up a jug next time she is at Walmart.

Walmart has cheap enough prices on oil that I don't see a benefit to spending time looking for oil deals. I don't want to clutter up my garage with any more oil than is needed.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
A lot, probably 70 quarts, haven't done inventory in a while.

Only clearance. Almost all for $1 per quart.

Similar quantities here, and I too aim to pay ~$1 a qt or less on average.

My first post here. Been creeping for years.
As for my stash, I can join OPEC . Approximately 700 litres. Walmart here is changing formats so they have been clearancing masses of oil for next to nothing. All full synthetic.
Will post a pic later.
PUP 10 5L jugs
PP 28 5L
QSUD 18 5L
CASTROL 40 4.4 L
VSP 40 5L
Gc 14 1l
Mobil 1 15 4.4l
I could be off on some counts, remembering off the top of my head. We have 5 cars, all use 6 to 7 litres per change.

My stash?
Parts store sized and varied.
I can change anything in the family fleet of nine vehicles several times over plus the OPEs.
All of this mostly syn-labeled oil in many grades was dirt cheap, of course.
This is really as much a hobby as it is a cost saver.
While I do save money, the dollars saved are as nothing compared to the fuel cost of running any vehicle for an OCI.
Pity one can't stash fuel when one find it cheaply.
Maybe I need a small tanker?
LOL!

Approaching manageable and not Hoarders! anymore. Actually had to go to a store and buy 5 gallons of Delo 15W40. Declined a good deal on some a few months ago thinking I shouldn't stock up. Wrong

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
Approaching manageable and not Hoarders! anymore. Actually had to go to a store and buy 5 gallons of Delo 15W40. Declined a good deal on some a few months ago thinking I shouldn't stock up. Wrong

It is hard to pay full price for oil.

I had to buy some 15w-40 for my bike right after I got it. I never had a need for HDEO, so none in my stash.
Even buying cheap Supertech @ $10/gallon was hard.
The recent AAP Peak HDEO clearance ($1.85/gallon) took care of that problem.

Usually close to none for motor oil. I'd have to buy top off oil right now.

I do have a few quarts of Mercon V, a mostly full bottle of Valvoline MTF, and some 80W90. I think I also have some AZ or O'Reilly's Dex/Merc, maybe half a gallon.

Great great point fdcg27.. We need to but tanker trucks to stock up when gas is a lot cheaper... Like now when it is relatively cheaper. Anyone remember paying $3.50-$4 a gallon for regular 87 gas?? Yeah it was that high around my area at one time. $2.10 is a good deal at current prices. Get me a tanker to store it in
smile.gif

I keep enough oil for my vehicles' next oil change. When the change is done, I replenish the shelf as soon as the oil I use goes on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back