What base oil is the Shell Rotella-T?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rotella T uses Group II and Group II+ base oils. I got this direct from an engineer at Shell.

Rotella T Synthetic uses Shell's proprietary XHVI base oil, which is a Group III, but unlike other Group IIIs, XHVI is a wax isomerate, meaning the feedstock used to produce it isn't the VGO from the distiller, but is rather slack wax or waxy raffinate. This processs produces a much purer base oil, and one with a much higher inherent VI than conventional hydrocracked Group IIIs.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
Rotella T uses Group II and Group II+ base oils. I got this direct from an engineer at Shell.

Last time I heard (from Peter Van Benthuysen) it was a mix of group I and group II?

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

Rotella T Synthetic uses Shell's proprietary XHVI base oil, which is a Group III, but unlike other Group IIIs, XHVI is a wax isomerate, meaning the feedstock used to produce it isn't the VGO from the distiller, but is rather slack wax or waxy raffinate. This processs produces a much purer base oil, and one with a much higher inherent VI than conventional hydrocracked Group IIIs.

So is this a good thing?!?!? Only asking as the part of "rather slack wax or waxy raffinate" doesn't sound to good to me. Sounds like it could cause sludge build-up, maybe I'm wrong.
dunno.gif
confused.gif

Jelly: It was until the latest API spec came out. Now mostly all Group II+. The Rotella streight weights still use some Group I and II mix but not the Rotella T 10W30 or 15W40. I was at a meeting last week and we talked about this very thing. So as of last Tuesday I can say my statement is correct.

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
Jelly: It was until the latest API spec came out. Now mostly all Group II+. The Rotella streight weights still use some Group I and II mix but not the Rotella T 10W30 or 15W40. I was at a meeting last week and we talked about this very thing. So as of last Tuesday I can say my statement is correct.

Yes, and it was Peter who told me Group II and II+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back