What are your thoughts on White Castle?

Didn't really know much about them until the late 90s. Might have heard a few things about them in a book called Bigger Secrets by William Poundstone. He wrote a few books about secrets such as whether or not Walt Disney's head was really frozen as well as an attempt to find what's in KFC's secret recipe. I think he tested out White Castle burgers to see if they had any weird ingredients, and all the food lab could find was beef, salt, and onions.

During the late 90s was the first time I'd been anywhere near one. I saw someone with a bag at an office that I was visiting in the Chicago area, but I never really got to try any.

I have tried their frozen burgers sold at local supermarkets, but that's bound to be far different than a restaurant.

I've walked into a White Castle before in Las Vegas. There's one right on the Las Vegas Strip on the same block as The Venetian. I looked around out of curiosity but didn't get anything.

We had a Doberman Pinscher that would eat anything including goose and rabbit poop but he wouldn't touch a White Castle burger.

The Fuddruckers in Sunset Hills is still alive. They do make a delicious burger. The place could use some renovations but the food was great last time I was in there.
Ended up there Sunday evening as we had to take the Seattle kids back to the airport for their flight home and a stop at MicroCenter to pick up a replacement hard drive for my at home workstation.

You are right, it could use some updates. The burger and toppings were still good. oilBabe and I splurged and split a chocolate shake.

It was sad that the crowd was so small there. If what we saw was indicative of the traffic in the place, they probably don't have long in the market.

Dooley's Downtown and the Fatted Calf in Clayton are closed, so I'm running out of places to get a fresh burger.

Ended up there Sunday evening as we had to take the Seattle kids back to the airport for their flight home and a stop at MicroCenter to pick up a replacement hard drive for my at home workstation.

You are right, it could use some updates. The burger and toppings were still good. oilBabe and I splurged and split a chocolate shake.

It was sad that the crowd was so small there. If what we saw was indicative of the traffic in the place, they probably don't have long in the market.

Dooley's Downtown and the Fatted Calf in Clayton are closed, so I'm running out of places to get a fresh burger.
Good to hear it’s at least still making a decent burger. I miss the Fatted Calf. Hi Pointe drive in is pretty good in Richmond Heights, Freddy’s at various locations can be decent. Annie Gunn’s in Chesterfield has a great burger if you want to save $50 and not get a steak.

White Castle trivia: up until 2015, they also made professional lawn fertilizer spreaders.

I was introduced to WhiteCastles (by the bag-full) when they cost about 10 cents each. It's their cult appeal and childhood memories that lures me in about once a year.
I'm 70 remember when they were 5 cents with a coupon could buy 6 must been 10 years old
regular price 7 cents.

I have only seen the microwavable ones at the store. Not very good imo. I assume that one from a restaurant would be better.
spray them iightly with cooking spray, wrap with foil, flick a little water on them, in the oven 350* for not more than 15 minutes. Need horseradish mustard and dill pickel slice. Microwave is just nasty.

This is my favorite burger place:

My other favorite burger is Chili's Mushroom Swiss burger.

Unique burgers. Had them for the first time in Chicago...probably about 1963. They are still the same. I don't think the frozen variety do them justice. I don't have them often, but a bag of White Castle cheeseburgers, some fries and an orange soda is good for the soul (if not your health) at times.

Last edited:
I just had white Castle last week for the first time since high school and my three boys had it for the first time ever. I gotta say, I don't know why I stopped going. We got a mix of regular and cheese burgers with fries. It was fantastic and the kids loved it too.

Back