What are your opinion about Google future vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/samabuelsami...n/#23444028258b

Quote:
For the past 130 years, whenever we have bought a car, we’ve expected it to continue operating relatively normally until the mechanical components simply wear out. These days, that means a vehicle may on the road for 20 to 25 years or more as long as basic maintenance is performed. What we don’t expect is for the company that made it to reach out through the internet and remotely shut it down whenever it feels like it. Yet a recent move by a corporate sibling of Google signals exactly that sort of future as we move into an era of connected and automated vehicles.

Quote:
What makes this situation different is that Nest this week posted a message on the Revolv.com website announcing that the product would be permanently shut down on May 15, 2016. The Revolv hubs haven’t been updated since the Nest purchase, but by all accounts they still work just fine and will likely continue to do so for years to come. At least they would if Nest wasn’t about to brick them

Quote:
However, between 2016 and this utopian/dystopian future, we’ll be buying cars with increasing levels of automation and connectivity. Google wants to be a major player in creating the software platforms that control these vehicles. It’s one thing to have a $200-300 gadget remotely killed by the manufacturer, but do we really want that to happen to vehicles that we’ve spent tens of thousands of dollars on?

Quote:
As tech companies that are accustomed to regularly killing functional products that are deemed commercial failures continue to infiltrate the automotive space, this is a conversation that needs to happen now. Perhaps there needs to be a requirement that vehicles that are sold to customers must be kept with a minimum level of functionality even if the manufacturer or suppliers opts to leave the business. Eventually, this won’t matter, but until then, it’s food for thought.

Automotive industry regularly kill off brands and models, but that doesn't mean the ones already on the road would be shut down and not drivable.

We no longer use Workstars and Lotus 123 in 2016, do we?

Usually because of interoperability, industry form organizations that defines a standard that every brand has to follow to work with each other. Think Wifi, Ethernet, USB, SATA, etc and how the companies that made products go out of business yet the products they build still work years or decades afterward with newer products. I don't see cars being any different, because it is both expensive and attract lawsuits for any defect.

Sounds like Forbes is trying to make a sensationalistic article out of nothing. To be fair (but I'm not supporting Nest) they are going to compensate owners:
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/06/nest-to-disable-revolv-hub-mulls-paying-back-users.html

Does anybody really believe this trash? That a car maker would be able to shut down your car without your authorization and without notice clearly written in the contract when you made the purchase that they would be able to do it? Lawyers would rightly have a field day with such stupidity.

I have more important things to worry about than this. Geez.

How soon until we all have to lease the car because they want to control the intellectual property inside.

Software is already this way. You don't own it. You only have a license to run it.

What if this becomes the model for motoring?

I'm not saying light your hair on fire and run around in a panic. But don't stick your head in the sand either.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Sounds like Forbes is trying to make a sensationalistic article out of nothing. To be fair (but I'm not supporting Nest) they are going to compensate owners:
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/06/nest-to-disable-revolv-hub-mulls-paying-back-users.html

Does anybody really believe this trash? That a car maker would be able to shut down your car without your authorization and without notice clearly written in the contract when you made the purchase that they would be able to do it? Lawyers would rightly have a field day with such stupidity.

I have more important things to worry about than this. Geez.

Did GM offer any support for the original OnStar system when It was discontinued? I don't think so! If your car was still your daily driver, It was SOL for you.

If someone has other information, let's have it. FWIW

Oldtommy

The self driving models eventually will do away with idea of owning a car. It will become a pay per use deal. In the interim I guess people will own them because it closely resembles a model they already know and transition to new.

Uber is proving the pay per use model/infrastructure in its infancy pretty well not owning the vehicles.

An autonomous vehicle for long distance travel where I do not have to lift a finger, I just sleep or work or do whatever the [censored] I want while I wait, where do I sign?

For those who worry about this "shut off service when it is obsolete" concern: worry about your battery and one off design component failing after warranty expire instead.

No one will be making new batteries for Mitsubishi, Honda, Kia, etc EV battery 20 years after they are discontinued, and you won't find them in junkyard.

Automated vehicle will still work as long as the GPS map is still stored in the computer. They have to store it locally because wireless network may be unreliable, I haven't heard that GPS units on low volume car got shut off (but plenty of malfunction). The only concern is the unique components like sensor, radar, camera, etc that are unique to that model will be out of production. You will have to pull from junkyard or eBay total lost vehicles to get them. The same goes for any rare and low volume vehicles.

In the absolute worse case, you can at least drive that car manually.

Last edited:
Quote:
An autonomous vehicle for long distance travel where I do not have to lift a finger, I just sleep or work or do whatever the [censored] I want while I wait, where do I sign?

I hope I'm dead before that is the reality. I enjoy driving. I would go crazy in a car hurtling down the highway out of my control knowing that the only thing between me and death was a software company that recently pulled a dumb April Fool's prank on millions of unsuspecting users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back