What are your biggest pet peeves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nosy people?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
people who wear there pants around there knee's.

I'm 19 years old, and THIS. Seriously.

Also, people who drive slower than the speed limit in the left lane. SERIOUSLY. I won't honk or flash my lights at you, but it drives me insane. If the middle/right lane is clear, WHY are you driving in the left lane, going that speed? I don't like passing on the right, but I will do it when people are being obnoxious like that. It is different if someone is already speedin

Also, people who weave from right lane to left lane and back again to gain a whole 10 feet further forward. Come on now, that's dumb.

If I'm driving in the left lane, and someone comes up behind me, going faster than I am, I will usually speed up a bit until I can get over, and get over to let him pass. Doesn't bother me, because I know I appreciate it when people do that for me. This is completely different than when someone is in the left lane, with a clear middle/right lane, and doing the speed limit/slower than.

The only time I DO get annoyed in this situation, very much so, is when people start flashing headlights and blaring horns at me. Then I may decide to flash my brakes at you, or slow down, just because you are being a [censored]

Last edited:
General decline of culture and civilization in the US which can be tangibly detected in the obnoxious, thoughtless and rude behavior of many citizens.

Our Western culture being also destroyed by the influx of alien cultures from around the world.

It isn't PC, but too bad.

- People who spend 30 minutes at the drive up ATM. It's really not hard to figure out, and it's purpose is to provide a place for people to quickly withdraw money. It is not a place to spend 30 minutes rooting around in your car, forcing a crumpled wad of a check into the machine, or just sitting there in utter confusion.

- People who drive way too slow for the road they are on.

- Dirt on the floor in my house. Not too picky about stains in carpet so much, but I hate dirt on the floor for some reason. I put up with it somewhat in the truck since that's impossible to avoid, but the floors in the house usually stay pretty clean.

- Idiots at work.

People who think that somebody is a Nazi just because they may have a slightly different view regarding the ranking of various atrocities committed by the Axis and Allies during WWII.

Originally Posted By: daddi
People who refuse to leave the left lane. And I'm not talking for a mile or two. I'm talking hundreds.

I've actually encountered a drivers taking a leisurely drive in the left lane on the interstate oblivious to the 15-20 cars behind them. Managed to pass them, then sometime down the road I pull into a rest area. After getting on the interstate and driving for awhile what do I come upon?? You guessed it....the same idiot still in the left lane with a bunch of cars behind them again. Some people just don't get it. Tom

See, if there is noone coming up behind me, wanting to pass, and I will be passing people in the center/right lane, I will stay in the left. I will move over when I won't be passing somebody for 30 seconds, or if someone is coming up behind me wanting to pass.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
4. All of southern California.

What wrong with So Cal ?

People or weather or traffic or high cost of living ?

I hate Left Lane Bandit.

Biggest pet peeve?

The media, businesses, and organizations that use what they believe are the latest "trendy, politically, and socially correct" words.

As in, "growing our revenues," "sustainability," "partnering with our stakeholders," "collaborate," "outcomes," "engaged," ad nauseum.

And unfortunately, there's several dozen more words of the same ilk that are repeated daily.

If you read alot as I do, that [censored] is everywhere! It obviously makes them feel as though they are actually accomplishing something (which would be a result, not a friggin' "outcome!").

Originally Posted By: exranger06
.........And most of all, people who say the year is "two thousand eleven." It should be "twenty-eleven." That's the convention we've been using basically forever, why did it all of a sudden change?

As in, "you owe me twenty eleven dollars?"

People with such a poor command of the written language that they think they need to emphasize a point by the use of words in all capital letters. It would be rather funny to hear them read what they’ve just written and try to use the emphasis as written (I think Victor Borge had a similar comedy routine). While it may look like emphasis to the uneducated writer, it's really nothing more than poor writing skills. Everyone should be able to make a point without select words in all capital letters.

People who feel the need to use an ellipsis at the end of each sentence rather than a period. It's clear they have no idea how to correctly use an ellipsis or what it represents (hint-it’s a trailing or incomplete thought and often called “falling short”).

People who feel the need to curse, either written or verbally. Foul language does nothing more than emphasize a lack of communication skills and makes the user look ignorant.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
People who think that somebody is a Nazi just because they may have a slightly different view regarding the ranking of various atrocities committed by the Axis and Allies during WWII.

Not sure where you're going here. The allies were attacked and defended themselves.

I think OVERK1LL is talking about how carpet bombing civilian populations was a war crime if done by the Germans or Japanese, but totally okay if done by the allies.

Also the fact that the U.S. Govt basically rounded up Japanese Americans, forcing them to sell they property for nearly nothing, and then locking them up in camps because of their ethnic background was ok, but depriving Jews of rights even before the concentration camps was a big no no for Germans.

And let us not forget the sedition acts of the Wilson administration were if you spoke German in public, were against the war in Europe, or spoke ill of government policies you could be locked up. Also the fact that German Americans were locked up, beaten, and in some cases lynched during the first world war.

War is [censored], but as one man said "The victors write the history". War is a sad thing, and no nation is innocent. Some just have more blood on their hands than others.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kender
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Not sure where you're going here. The allies were attacked and defended themselves.

This was directed at a specific person who made a remark about a friend of mine in the Pearl Harbour thread. Out of context, it probably sounds strange.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
I think OVERK1LL is talking about how carpet bombing civilian populations was a war crime if done by the Germans or Japanese, but totally okay if done by the allies.

Also the fact that the U.S. Govt basically rounded up Japanese Americans, forcing them to sell they property for nearly nothing, and then locking them up in camps because of their ethnic background was ok, but depriving Jews of rights even before the concentration camps was a big no no for Germans.

And let us not forget the sedition acts of the Wilson administration were if you spoke German in public, were against the war in Europe, or spoke ill of government policies you could be locked up. Also the fact that German Americans were locked up, beaten, and in some cases lynched during the first world war.

War is [censored], but as one man said "The victors write the history". War is a sad thing, and no nation is innocent. Some just have more blood on their hands than others.

You need to visit the Pearl Harbour thread
grin.gif
Your thinking is right in line with the type of thinking I was defending. That all is not black and white.

My Grandfather on my mothers side grew up under Hitler and later Communist E.Germany before he made it to America. This country was darn good to him and he appreciated it. But being sort of a German-American myself, I have learned to view all history objectively. True patriots don't blindly say "My country is right no matter what" You just love your nation for its triumphs and accept its mistakes. Im just glad he got out or I might have had to grow up in E. Germany.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
My Grandfather on my mothers side grew up under Hitler and later Communist E.Germany before he made it to America. This country was darn good to him and he appreciated it. But being sort of a German-American myself, I have learned to view all history objectively. True patriots don't blindly say "My country is right no matter what" You just love your land for its mistakes and its triumphs. Im just glad he got out or I might have had to grow up in E. Germany.

My great grandfather's family came over from Germany in the late 1800's and settled in the southern US. They eventually moved to Ontario where my great grandfather became an Electrical Engineer, specializing in Hydro Electricity. My grandfather followed in his footsteps, but ended up joining the RCAF and fighting in WWII as a tail gunner. He eventually became a boot camp sergeant. When the war was over, he went into EE like his father and working at GE.

My grandfather didn't talk much about the war and had a vehement hatred for anything Japanese. He did not have the same animosity towards things of German origin however. I'm not sure if this was due to being of German descent or some other less obvious reason. He never explained it to me, though I never really asked. I accepted that as just part of who he was. That this was part of his baggage from serving his country.

My friend Peter is younger than my grandfather. He survived the war, but was nothing more than a Luftwaffe "air cadet" during that time. He talks openly about the war.... pretty regularly actually. I enjoy my conversations with him because they are first-person accounts and so are quite different from the novels I've read and documentaries I've watched. His family moved to Canada in the 50's and he was lucky enough to have been able to marry and raise his family in Canada, rather than Soviet-occupied Germany. He's a tool and die maker by trade and now retired, builds model railway electronics, flywheels and switch setups to stay busy.

I may have OCD but I truly hate it when someone leaves time on the microwave that could be a time of day. Some days when I was married I would look over and think "Great Caesar's Ghost I am going to be late for class (this is the G Rated version of what I really said)" only to find out it was 2 hours earlier than the timer on the microwave stated.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9

What are your biggest pet peeves?

Thread's fulled with all kind of full growed mans wineing about there pet peeves......

Winning!!
banana2.gif
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back